HEMTT M1120 CHU finished

An absolute beauty! Especially the graffiti is a great idea!

You need to get with TIKing over in the Automotive side of things. You two could jam with one another.

Your photos don’t show the CHU very much which is/was my primary interest in this thread.

Can we have more photos please?

First time seeing your work, very impressive.

Thank you for sharing and posting your work here.

~ Eddy :tophat:

Are those radio antennas an after-market item or do you guys have a wizarding way of making those? Please share.

Carbon fiber rod with a PVA or CA glue tip.

Sorry if this is a dumb question: but where do I find ultra thin carbon fibre rod???

Would that be a RC Car type of “thang”?

Try asking Google about:
https://www.google.com/search?q=carbon+fibre+rod+0.2+mm
Substitute other numbers for different sizes.
One of my results was a place in UK where they sold 0.7 mm tube with 0.3 mm inner diameter.
Hmmmm, need to figure out some reason for needing one of those …

I use wire but you can get bigger. NC company. :+1:

https://www.tichytraingroup.com/Shop/tabid/91/c/n_wire/p/1100-008-phosphor-bronze-wire/Default.aspx

You can buy in 2 M lengths here: Carbon Fiber Rods - CST The Composites Store, Inc.. I find that .010 and .030 are the best sizes for antennas. The stuff will bend but snap back and won’t break. It’s perfect for antennas and cheap for how much you use.

Looks fantastic - great build and yeah … the seacan looks spot-on and adds a wonderful contrast. Thanks for sharing - inspiring build.

Assuming they’re SINCGARS antennae, they’re very thin, something along the lines of .005” in scale . I’ve was given the tip of a product called “wonder wire” which maybe just composite as well but available in.006” diameter from Precision Enterprises from Vermont.

3 Likes

Wow, lovely piece of kit!

OK, regarding the new Trumpeter CHU . . . . .

I’ll show you mine (home built) if you will show me your’s:

I just wanted to see some extra photos to know how the Trumpeter, Shapeways and scratch built CHU’s all compare???

IMG_8752sm_zpsjvkkftri

This one is all made from assorted Evergreen plastic shapes and sheet stock plus some generic decals.

3 Likes

Robin, don’t tease yourself… Sometimes just knowing it’s there and available is the only reason you need :grin:

3 Likes

What sort of pin wash are you using please?
Whatever it is it really makes the details pop on your HEMTT

I use black oil paint from Windsor & Newton, which I delute with terpetine.
Not a very healthy practice, but it get the job done :grin:

I found some sprue shots of the Trumpeter CHU but still cannot seem to find close ups of the built up model.

CHU1. .CHU2

1 Like

Hi
Is this what you’re looking for?

2 Likes

Yes, exactly - Your title specifically mentioned the CHU (Container Handling Unit) so I had hopes of seeing Trumpeter’s version of it. Thank You for including these additional photographs.

Mike

1 Like