"High-Speed" 155mm Gun GPF

As the war clouds started building in Europe and the Pacific, the US Army took stock of its extensive park of old WW1 artillery. In 1936 they started to modernize the 155mm GPF gun to allow it to be towed by trucks at speeds in excess of 20mph. They upgraded the guns with air brakes, big pneumatic tires, and a new limber. 654 guns were funded and scheduled to be upgraded although it is unknown if all were converted. The upgraded guns saw combat in the Philippines, North Africa, Sicily, Italy and the Pacific.

This is another Commander Models full resin kit - the only offering of this subject. Upon examining the parts I discovered many with molding problems - short shots, air bubbles, badly misaligned mold halves, etc. I contacted Commander via email with the list of parts that were unusable and beyond repair. Within a week, a whole new kit arrived in my mailbox. Upon opening it, I discovered that the new kit wasn’t a lot better. However, between the two kits, I was able to get enough usable parts to build the model.

I started by filling the air bubbles and short shots with black tire glue CA. This is my go-to solution for filler on resin kits. None of the traditional putties adhere well to resin. This tire glue CA is a medium CA mixed with powdered rubber. It fills the gaps nicely, sticks well to the resin, and when used with an accelerator, can be filed and sanded immediately. I next textured the castings with a stippling of Mr. Surfacer 500.

The kit is lacking on details and had some inaccuracies that needed to be addressed. I detailed the recoil sleigh - added bolts, data plate, disks, and filled more pin holes. The spade attachments were inaccurate and rather buggered up, so I scratched new ones. The spades were retained with large turnbuckles which I scratched from brass tubing and rod. The large spades used on this type of gun are a problem if you are going to display the model in firing position. They would be dug into the ground with one the tops visible. To replicate this, I scratched the tops of the spades from styrene, brass, copper wire, and tubing. The kit trail lock was a lump; so off it went and fashioned a real one with retaining chain. I scratched the airbrake connections between the trail and lower cradle. The airbrake connection points were a combination of 3D printed gladhands from @Petition2God and scratch building.

The airbrake regulator in the kits was a bit of a blob; so, I scratched a new one to attach to the kit air reservoir. The airbrake lines were fashioned from fine insulated electrical wire with even finer copper wire wrapped around the ends for strain reliefs. The handbrakes and sights also took a fair amount of detailing to look good.

With the build complete, I primed with Mr. Surfacer 1500 black from a rattle can. Resin kits must be primed to avoid having the paint rub or flake off. I preshaded with XF1 white and base coated with Tamiya XF62 Olive Drab. I was going for an old worn; but well-maintained look so I used multiple layers of the hairspray technique to give it that old scuffed up look. After a coat of Trsemme hairspray, I give it a light coat of XF49 Khaki and then peel most of that off with a damped brush. I sealed this with a thin clear gloss coat, applied another coat of hairspray followed by a light and uneven coat of XF57 Buff. After peeling most of the buff off, I misted on an exceptionally light and uneven filter coat of XF71 Cockpit Green. I added a bit more variation to the paint with a dot filter of Winsor and Newton oils.

After gloss coating, I applied a pin wash of AK Africa Dust and cleaned it up /feathered it with a makeup sponge. Then applied some streaking with various AK streaking products. After a matt coat of Model Master Clear Matt Lacquer, I applied a slurry of AK pigments and mineral spirits to the tires. Once dry the excess was brushed off and the tires and, sights and handwheels glued on.

The Commander Models kits are a bit challenging; but they specialize in early US subjects that are not available anywhere else. I am very happy that they offer these neglected subjects. This looks great in my display case and fills another hole on my collection of US WW2 artillery.

27 Likes

Impressive work!

2 Likes

Very nice. It came out really great-looking.

2 Likes

Excellent work there Rick. Great details and finish.

2 Likes

Thanks guys! This was a fun project.

1 Like

There is one of these as a gate guard at our Veteran’s Home here in Quincy, IL…I bought this l
kit years back intending to build it, but never got to it . Very nice build. Correction, the one here is the older gun with the hard rubber tires. Sorry Wayne

2 Likes

Here one being pulled off an LST by a MACK NO in southern France.

4 Likes

Thanks Wayne. The kit is a bit of a challenge, but the effort is worth it.

1 Like

@VonKettler Those are some great color photos. I did not realize that these made it to Southern France however it makes perfect sense as most of the forces came from Italy. Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Nice beast ! Congrats for the result and all the efforts !!!

There is one gun US version in France, at the Artillery School of Draguignan ! I didn’t know there was a kit from Commander. Starting from AZIMUT or DES kit would have been a hard job due to the complicated brake system and new front axle and wheel/tire, so I gave up before starting !!!
I don’t have digital pics, only paper…
OK the spades are still the WWI style ! I thought they were like flat GPFT “spades”. My guess is nobody knows about the limber…

Eric

2 Likes

Fantastic job Rick! You turned Commander’s blob in a box into a sharp shining model, and that ain’t easy to do! Inventive scratchbuilding and intricate attention to detail have made this model a winner. Great work and outstanding results!

1 Like

@JFeder504 Eric, Thank you. I have a set of 88 photos of the example at the US Field Artillery Museum at Ft Sill. Let me see if I can get them posted onto PrimePortal or one of the other walkaround sites. Tankograd No. 6004 is an excellent reference and includes two pages of detail photos of the M3 limber that are from the US Army SNL.

The Commander Models Kit does include the M3 Limber. As I like to display my artillery in firing position, I assembled the limber out-of-the box. If one were to display it, the air brake lines and lots of little details would need to be added. None of it is difficult except for the steering mechanism U-bolts. Here are a couple of photos of my OOB limber.

I’ve not been successful in ordering from Azimut or DES in the past. They don’t appear to sell and ship beyond the EU. DES has the barrel of the US 240mm Howitzer on its travel wagons that is interesting.

@SSGToms Thank you!

3 Likes

@JFeder504 Eric, I went to send my walkarounds to PrimePortal and discovered that they already have photos of the same gun taken years earlier and before preservation painting. However, they have it miss-labeled as a howitzer. Here is a link: PrimePortal 155mm GPF High-Speed

1 Like

small note for anybody doing a very early 155 ( eight inch) howitzer or gun. They did not have the same sighting systems used in the sixties, and the elevation relied on a level / protractor placed on top the breech (twelve o clock position). Most of the time it was an unpainted strip, and sometimes they were flat as well. You set the angle of elevation on the protractor and crank the barrel up or down till your level. Later stuff had this built into the sighting system
gary

Ha ! there is a limber with Commander model kit ! I would have been interested 20 years ago but now I still have so much to do ! Here are some of my pics just scanned. I now notice that the spades have different attachment to the trail compared to french 155 and a different gun carriage ( from inside ). But I focused on the brake system… thinking it was addition to pure french model .
Forgive the poor looking tires !

Eric

3 Likes

Hmm. That is a different air regulator set up than the examples I photographed at Ft Sill and that are depicted in the SNL.

Here are the spade attachment points.

2 Likes

Thunder models may be doing a 1/35 Mack NO.

Screenshot_20231026_212038_Messenger|690x490
Screenshot_20231026_211812_Facebook
Mack NO to pull that gun.