History or Anonymity?

Examples?
This page is intentionally blank?
Some more editing required?
In a hurry?

Sorry… I was typing on FB just before, and the key-commands there are… well… different. I hit the reply button instead of the hard-return. Any hoo… pics are now there.

2 Likes

That cracked me up, I received the response email while I was getting my tires changed. Why do people look at you weird when your laughing all by yourself?

1 Like

Just for you, I too changed my spelling error.

1 Like

They are jealous because they are not included in the fun :grin:
Try talking loudly all by yourself WITHOUT holding a mobile phone …

3 Likes

You’re the man. Thanks for giving to our country.

Semper Fi
Dan

I’m with you man

Wow,way out of my league. Once I can get decent models I’ll start with figurines and then maybe dioramas. One diorama happened during the Ardennes offensive when a Konigstiger was trying to turn s small corner ina village to take out an American AT platoon. Well, the American Sgt couldn’t dismount his crew served light artillery piece, thought he was a goner, but the KT xouosnt make the turn the tank due to the long 88, so he backed into a three story brick building which fell on top of the tank and disabled it. That would be one I might be able to do.

Amazing work. If one is making great dioramas, they’re damn good.
Dan

I keep a foot in both camps. I want my specific built vehicles like Carious Tiger as accurate as I reasonably can. If I am building a diorama or base that has a story or theme then the correct division markings and unit that would have been in the scene is as close as I wanted because that was not the focus of the build and I will be more artsy with the build.

3 Likes

Smart play Top. I try to do it your way, but much less quality on my end.
Dan

Beautiful work, thanks for sharing. I LOVE the Alpini, the sculpt/paint/setting all look great!

1 Like

Thanks, Doc! I had that figure in my stash for a number of years before the vision of scene to depict it finally materialized.

I generally don’t like to put elements in the display that block the view of the model subject, but in this case, I wanted the feel of the elevation and continued “verticality.” Roger Saunders sculpted the figure with his right arm raised as if he’s shielding his eyes from the sun looking upward into… what or where?

I felt that perhaps putting the little guy into a “will this climb never end” situation would fit. Maybe he’s looking up at the “circling vultures” wondering if they’re waiting on him and his mates… His jovial facial expression suggests otherwise, though, and made me think of one of those situations in which you say to yourself that you can either laugh or cry, so laugh it is.

The circular base actually allows all sides of the figure to be viewed fully, so the vertical cliff face doesn’t block as much as it might seem in the photos.

4 Likes

Of course, any page with “this page is intentionally blank” printed on it is inaccurate… :rofl:

As to the original topic, I like to build based on photos, but not based on famous names. I don’t care who commanded a tank - if the picture looks interesting I replicate it as best I can. That’s just my personal twist on our varied hobby. I do build a fair few “generic” builds too, simply using what’s in the box or adding my own mix of details because photo-replicating can be a drag sometimes and a simple build is a good palate-clensor…

2 Likes

Thats a really good question / point. Me ? I fall under the second type I just try to build a generic version. It’s easier that way. BUT I don’t always build per exact nation. Example I have an F/A-18E Super Hornet bearing not U.S. markings. But…SWISS instead. I know theu never flew the super hornet. Instead they had or still have the A version. (If I’m not mistaken.) I like to creative and as you mentioned, build it the way that suits me.

Gallery quality work.

1 Like

Looking forward to seeing it, whatever it is!

I did these many years ago when my sight was sharper and my hand was steadier and may be part of the reason they no longer are…

Cheers,

M

1 Like

Veerrrhyyy interesting!

1 Like

You, Sir, are no mere hobbyist. You’re clearly a well-read, learned man apart from your hobbies, although I sense an intersection there as in my case, Are you part of the Editorial regime here? I’ve been trying to get a book review going and I’m having some issues with the website and the process. I’ve talked to. “Jim “ and a “Carlos” about it and hope to get one for Lukasz Orczyc’s latest major AK publishing offering “8x8”, which takes modeling buffs back to WWII And forward regarding the growing military inclination to build more of these faster 8x8 fast, LAV’s which I saw in the Marine Corps. Ours were mostly for recon units, but the Army has whole battalions of these. Anyway, it’s not just a book on how he builds 8x8’s from the 40’s to present, he does delve into the geopolitical nascence of this platform from cost to mission requirements and he is a teacher by day. But he doesn’t mention his pedagogical sklls in the book. But, back to you, you’re someone I can talk to and learn something from, both hobby-wise and intellectually and that’s a tall order on some forums. I hope we can continue a discourse along these lines.
Dan

1 Like

My personal modelling mantra is Build, Fail, Learn, Succeed, ENJOY. Its not my livelihood, its my hobby. Thats not to say i dont to to be accurate/ honest to the original.
I’m also prone to more than the occassional self-desined Conceptual vehicle (sounds soooo much better that “What if…”),
So I would reckonCamp 2 for me

4 Likes

My friend I think we were separated at birth. I agree with everything you just said

2 Likes