HMS Campbeltown 1/700

I think you are right, Leo. I’ll have to try it that way next time. I started to get frustrated with the support arms breaking off from metal fatigue and that extra bit of complexity just didn’t seem worth it. This is supposed to be a relaxation build, so to keep it enjoyable I reckon I can live with the more modest level of detail.
:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Hi Tim,

The single 20mm look really good for kit parts, even with shield issues, like the 5o cal solution too.

This kit could almost temp to try 1/700th again.

Cheers

Si

2 Likes

As a matter of fact, after you fold all the shields like that, you can even prime and paint them while still attached to the fret. When dry, they’re ready to cut off and install (along with the rest of the PE).
:smiley:

1 Like

Hi Tim,

The single 20mm look really good for kit parts, even with shield issues, like the 5o cal solution too.

This kit could almost temp to try 1/700th again.

Cheers

Si

Thanks Si,

I’ve built 1/700 ships going back to the 1970s Water Line Series, but 1/700 definitely ain’t what it used to be – it is so much better! Flyhawk in particular is making kits that rival their 1/350 counterparts for precision molding and detail, and the added etch and other goodies make their kits very complete. If you do venture back into the 1/700 world, you will find there are some super kits to be found there!

2 Likes

The kit came with etched brass replacements for the two hose reels.

The etched reels look good, but unfortunately they are noticeably too wide.

Still, the molded reels also provided aren’t bad, so I may just use them instead and save the etched parts for some later project.

8 Likes

The molding on that hole reel is very good for 1/700th integrally molding.

It easy to use an etched replacement part, even if it is less accurate than what it is replacing.

Good choice.

Cheers,

Si

4 Likes

Thanks Si. Those etch reels, even though they are too wide, sure look nice! I may actually go back and see if I can shorten them, but if this doesn’t work the molded reels will be just fine.

2 Likes

The propeller shafts are accurate and nicely molded, although the struts are a bit thick. The soft plastic Flyhawk uses makes the job of thinning them down easy.

Anyway, it may not even matter as they will be hard to see once the propellers are in place!
:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

6 Likes

The kit comes with some credible representations of the ship’s propeller guards molded in plastic. I appreciate that Flyhawk made the effort to represent the more substantial guards fitted by the British when the ship entered RN service.

The “deluxe” version also comes with optional etched brass replacement guards which are even better. In addition, three unbelievably small etched support pieces are provided for the underside of each guard. The new parts look good test fitted in place, but they are so delicate I won’t actually install them until after painting.

The kit also includes some nicely rendered Carley floats. The molded detail on the 1/700 rafts might seem a bit heavy in this close-up picture, but in this small scale they look about right. Photos of the ship wedged in the dock the next morning show that four of the six rafts carried by Campbeltown were still aboard; only the two floats on the fantail were actually deployed.

As this image from the old Profile Warship #5 HMS Campbeltown makes clear, at least one of those rafts did prove useful…

7 Likes

Those prop guards look superb. Tim you really are temping me back to the dark side of 1/700th.

Great build mate.

Cheers

Si

2 Likes

Well, Si, it has been a while since I’ve done any 1/700 too. This is a nice little kit.

Time for paint!

I started with the black boot strip, Testors black enamel. It is actually a very dark gray as I added some white to it for scale effect. It is always a challenge to keep the colors “right” but muted down a bit to keep small scale models from looking too toylike.

Anyway, I shot the hull and then masked off the boot strip.

It would have been simple enough to cut some tape strips for this, but I used precut Aizu Micron .7mm wide masking tape. Super easy!

8 Likes

Ooooo sweet tape, I’m going to have to check that stuff out! This build is coming along at a prodigious pace. Can’t wait to see her with some paint!

Marty

2 Likes

Yes, that tape is sweet. I use it when painting wood decks. I been able to find it as small as .3mm.

Mark :beer:

2 Likes

Next came the underwater hull.

I used Colourcoats Royal Navy WW2 Antifouling Red with a little of their Mountbatten Pink added to make the hue just a bit less vivid.

Here is the boot top and the red antifouling areas masked up in preparation for the upper hull and deck colors:

I miss the days when “masked up” only meant that a model was ready for painting!

7 Likes

Me too… :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Ditto!

Mark :beer:

1 Like

PINK!

8 Likes

Pretty in Pink-is that the Colourcoats variety?

2 Likes

A lovely shade of lavender/pink: https://preview.redd.it/xki514236rp61.jpg?width=798&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=7380f75ecf2fd80ac8095e6976bbfb701909820b
But it is colorized!
:smiley:

2 Likes

A lovely shade of lavender/pink:

But it is colorized!

I like it!

3 Likes