HMS Campbeltown 1/700

Pretty in Pink-is that the Colourcoats variety?

Yes, it is the Colourcoats Royal Navy 1940-1942 Mountbatten Pink. It is a dead-on match with the Snyder and Short “Mountbatten Pink, Light (1940)” color sample in their Royal Navy World War II Ship Colors, Set One.

It still feels weird painting a warship pink, though!

:crazy_face:

2 Likes

But there were two official Mountbatten Pink’s - dark, and light. How do you know if you’ve got the right shade? I would take a guess at dark since it was mainly a night action.
:smiley:

2 Likes

Biggles50
But there were two official Mountbatten Pink’s - dark, and light. How do you know if you’ve got the right shade? I would take a guess at dark since it was mainly a night action.

Good point, Leo - and I agree, the dark pink seems likely since it was a night operation. I went with the lighter shade, though, for three reasons:

1. I don’t have any information as to which pink was actually used for Campbeltown.
  2. According to the Snyder and Short color samples, the dark pink isn’t that much darker anyway, so the slightly lighter rendering would be reasonable if taking “scale effect” into account.
  3. I had the lighter shade on hand! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
4 Likes

I was so jazzed with the pink hull that I forgot to spray the detail parts!

Back to the airbrush tonight…

6 Likes

Ever see “Operation Petticoat”? :grin:

3 Likes

Ever see “Operation Petticoat”? :grin:

I did! Somehow a pink submarine works better than a pink destroyer… :pleading_face:

Anyway, after the pink, I shot the little DD’s deck from directly above with Colourcoats Royal Navy WW2 Deck Gray Non-Slip.

The gray deck became very dark and contrasted dramatically with the vertical surfaces. When I again sprayed the Mountbatten pink from a low angle to restore the color to the hull and funnels, I allowed some of the fine overspray to mist the decks which muted the contrast nicely. I then brush painted the various deck details pink.

8 Likes

I guess the Brits wanted her to look sharp before her destruction?

Mark :beer:

2 Likes

I guess the Brits wanted her to look sharp before her destruction?

LOL! You might have a point, Mark. Of course there were a lot of topside changes (bridge area, stacks, guns) made for the special conversion and it would be no surprise if these areas were freshly painted. Still, with the exception of the battle damage after the ramming, the hull looked pretty clean too!

2 Likes

Masks removed, I’ve set about doing touch-ups and very minor pin washes using the same lightened black used for the boot top.

Since Campbeltown’s paint was fresh at the time of the operation, I’ll be keeping these washes to a minimum and forgo any weathering.

11 Likes

Well Tim you have sucked me in on this one too…
to the point where I am not thinking only about your Hatsuzuki thread … Divide and Conquer !

2 Likes

Nice work. She’s looking really sharp!

2 Likes

Very nice Tim,

The Mountbatten pink looks very good. She is really coming to life.

Cheers

Si

2 Likes

That’s some skillful wielding of the Windy Stick, Tim :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Richard. Martin, and Si - thanks!

Russ, done with the airbrush, now for a bit of hairy stick work: I attached the propellers and painted them with Testors Metallic Gold enamel.

The gold came out super bright, so I weathered the screws down a bit with thin washes of Tamiya NATO Black acrylic.

9 Likes

I just had to do that to my USS Buchanan model, the propellers looked like they belong in Fort Knox.

2 Likes

With the basics done, it is on to the details! I started with the barrel limiters for the 20mm guns. These rails were fitted around gun positions to keep excited gunners from swinging their barrels around and accidentally firing into their own ship.

Unusually for a 1/700 scale model, these were actually provided with the kit. Flyhawk included them as the delicate photoetch parts in place here around the central gun tubs. Tiny and fiddly to work with, they take a bit of patience to fit correctly – but once installed, they look the part!

8 Likes

Tim this is looking absolutely exceptional. It’ll be a real shame when you have to pack it full of (4165kg @ 1/700 scale…) 5.9kg of Amatol.

Also not quite sure how you’re going to fit that in there but I have faith.

4 Likes

Hard to believe this is 1/700, given the level of finesse and detail :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I have to agree.

1 Like

Tim this is looking absolutely exceptional. It’ll be a real shame when you have to pack it full of (4165kg @ 1/700 scale…) 5.9kg of Amatol.

Also not quite sure how you’re going to fit that in there but I have faith.

Didn’t I mention, I stuffed 24 tiny depth charges with their four tons of micro TNT inside the hull before cementing it together!
:exploding_head:

4 Likes