HMS Grenade early 1940

only if it’s 1/350 and involves some new modern flat top type things and/or some type of 26/Hunter class things… even then, it would need to be engineered and molded very well to meet the standards coming out from the far east… :wink:

1 Like

Won’t argue with that Russ, I wouldn’t say no to a WW2 armoured carrier, or anything RN, not out there, as long as it is well as engineered and a little finer on the detail than the wingy thingies.

Cheers, Si :wink:

1 Like

Hi shipmates,

Apologies for the long break in updates, work and other commitments have got in the way, I have made quite a bit of progress, an hour or two here and there. but here we go.

Major superstruture parts painted and test fitted

The main armament base coated, all courtesy of Black cat.

The forward guns in place, a little fettling was needed for A gun to fit under the blast shield.

The WEM paravanes are a bit crude, a bit of left over is improving them.

Details going on aft.

And finally an overview.

Not such a long break next time.

Cheers, :beers: Si

5 Likes

Hi Si! :slightly_smiling_face:

Great to see you back on the tools! I know that feeling, when “real” life demands take over and time slips away…

Anyhow, HMS Grenade is looking very fine indeed! Great progress mate, and even if it’s only an hour here or there, progress is progress :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks Russ,

I am pleased with the progress so far. Got a quiet weekend :crossed_fingers:

Hope to get a fair bit of bench time. The 3d printed parts have been a real boon, not that this kit cannot be built out of the box, but it is an early WEM, so some areas are a little plain.

Thanks for looking in mate.

Cheers, :beers: Si

1 Like

Quite a bit of progress over the last week or so,

Boats, I found I had a spare 26ft fast motor boat from Black cat, the kit whalers with some ethced oars will be fine.

The paravne davits are a bit 2D, the pedastal from left over kit 47mm from the 1/200 Mikasa were about the right size.

An overview with the masts in place

The paravanes and davits are in place, I will take a closeup for the next update. Thr rigginh underway.

More soon (I hope), It is Mrs Duster and My wedding aniversary next weekend so I may not get much time at the bench.

Cheers, Si

4 Likes

Which workbench Si ? :wink:
Happy Anniversary!

1 Like

Si, much as I enjoy your updates, we all understand if you get no bench time at all this weekend! Happy wife = happy life! :smile:

1 Like

Thank you, Richard.

Well that would be telling. :zipper_mouth_face:

Thank you for looking in, you are always welcome to comment.

Mrs Duster, (AKA Penny, outstide the ship modelling world) says thank you for your kind wishes.

Cheers, Si

Hi Tim,

Thank you for looking in, appreciate our shipmates understanding. I agree Happy wife=happy life. it has worked for 29 years.

Mrs Duster, (AKA Penny, outstide the ship modelling world) says thank you for your kind wishes.

Cheers, Si

Another small update, (Mostly because I have to take photos of last weekends progress.)

The modified parave davits fitted.

An overview,

I am close to commissioning, all the rigging is done, except the aerial runs between the fore and main mast., and then it is railings, anchors, a few davits and railings.

More before too long,

Cheers, Si

5 Likes

Another fine build, Si, and the camo turns out great!

Cheers
Jan

1 Like

Thankyou Jan,

I have always fancied this scheme, it is different , certainly eye catching. I am drawn to these odd schemes, much more interesting to paint.

I am going to have to get another kit and build her as Glowworm,

Cheers, Si

1 Like

Hi Guys,

Finally after commissioning the Grenade last year I have found time to to take the final pictures of this build. I did invest quite a bit in 3d printed parts to improve the kit, and a few bits scratchbuilding and creative gizmology…

Chhers, Si

7 Likes

She looks great Simon. Always enjoy your work!

1 Like

Thanks Rory,

Appreciate your reply, it was an enjoyable build, glad to be back on the board.

Cheers, Si

Hi Si!

First of all, great to have you back here on MSW and see some postings. And see some commissioned ships of the Red Duster’s fleet, all outstanding!
No need to explain any kind of longer absence, I am going through the same thing, sometime unexpectedly like the last four or six weeks…real life is not always friendly to us modelers…

Great work here on your HMS Grenade, I really like the camouflage scheme you used! And congratulations to commissioning!

Cheers
Jan

1 Like

Thanks Jan,

I liked that scheme, the colours and the air recognition marking were both unusual. I will admit I was in a bit of quandry when I started this one, because working on the Hipper there was a bit of a pull t o build her as Gloworm. I the end I am happy with the way I went, htere will be time to build Gloworm in the future.

Thank you for you kind comments,they are very much appreciated.

Best regards Simon

1 Like