HMS Iron Duke 1916 'Inspirations' by 罗质彬(Cyber Elf) | Model Shipwrights

Adie Roberts continues his inspirations to help inspire modellers of all abilities to work out of their comfort zone building dioramas or just trying new builds.

This is partial text from the full article (usually with photos) at https://modelshipwrights.com/news/hms-iron-duke-1916-inspirations-by-luo-zhi-bin-cyber-elf

HMS Iron Duke rocks!

Very well done. One of my favorite WW1 era British ships. The name just screams, sail on over and get a world class beat down :slight_smile:

HMS Iron Duke handing out naval version of this…

Webp.net-compress-image

unnamed (6)

best-knockout-punch

Indeed! A couple of years back there was a documentary on HMS Hood which made much of some newly-discovered colour cine film of her sailing out of Portsmouth shortly before WW2. What made it for me was that some of the shots were of “Iron Duke” sailing into port…
There’s more in this version:

Cheers,

M

1 Like

That’s an outstanding video find! Easily one of the best I’ve seen with HMS Hood. A++

I think HMS Victory makes a brief appearance in the video as well when they are leaving port. Definitely appearance of a sailing ship of the line in the background.

Excellent video chip of HMS Iron Duke as well.

1 Like

And a side wheel tug still earning her keep in 1939 !
Was it standard practice to traverse the guns to leeward in a seaway ?

1 Like

You are correct, Victory had been in dry dock since 1922, and was the only surviving First Rate. The Second Rate HMS Conway (ex-HMS Nile of 1839) was in Liverpool at that time (she was wrecked in 1953, and later caught fire). Also in Portsmouth at that time was the Third Rate HMS Implacable (built in 1800 as the French Duguay-Trouin), she was scuttled in 1949. The only other surviving Third Rate at that time was HMS Wellesley (1815), the last Royal Navy Ship-of-the-Line to be sunk by enemy action when bombed by the Luftwaffe in September 1940 while moored near Gravesend.

Regards,

M

1 Like

The RN were still building paddle tugs in the 1950s as they were very good for handling big aircraft carriers. They had diesel electric drives and I’m pretty sure I saw one in Portsmouth in the early 1970s, probably RMAS Forceful as she wasn’t decommissioned until 1980 and subsequently expended as a target at the Aberporth missile range.

Regards,

M