HMS Victory OOB

Yeah, go with the black & yellow scheme. It probably is what makes Victory so identifiable. If you gave it the red or red/yellow treatment, no one would ever recognize her.

1 Like

Guys all this talk of yellow and black has triggered a memory, that the latest historical research and consensus is that she was painted in what was referred to as “Victory Hull Ochre”

Check out this link showing how she’s turned pink! :grin:

Yeah I think it has to be those colours @timmyp and I did read that article as well @Russelle , but for me the yellow and black is what gives it that iconic look … Anyway, by the time I have removed all this flash they will of probably found another colour it was painted lol

2 Likes

Firstly I will apologise to all the floaty thing builders out there… It’s not pretty I know but hey…I’m an armour guy and that gents, is my one and only default excuse lol…

I have made a bit of headway with the V…

I have made a start on painting the masts which are still on the sprue, along with the cannons. That seemed the easiest option as some of the mast parts are pretty delicate the the cannons are so small they were so much easier to do that way.

There were a few fit issues with the hull but it eventually went together… I’m not sure it would be sea worthy but it will be ok in a dry dock lol.
Have opted to have it with the cannon ports closed. I really want to keep it simple when painting. I will have to readjust the paint on the upper rear deck, whatever that’s called, as it is slightly different shade to one I mixed … (And I forgot it was in the box still when I painted the other lol)
I’m not going to get fixated on the painting and if some parts of the decking area wood are brown when they should be black… Well I will live it. (And SWMBO won’t know anyway lol)
I do need to get some different gold paint for the stern detailing as the Tamiya one just looks a bit to … Glitzy ?? If you know what mean.

Stay safe :+1:

5 Likes

Great start, looks like it’s quite big too!

I have two Airfix sailing ships in the stash. The new tool small scale Mary Rose (even got a set of PE rigging for it) and the Cutty Sark. That one I picked up from a local YMCA charity shop that was closing down and they were selling left over stock for next to nothing. Think they were asking a pound for it or something silly. Gave them a tenner for it and a bunch of DVD’s and said put the change in the collection tin.
One day I’ll have to start it.

1 Like

I hope it’s in better nick than the one in Pompey lol…

I think (roughly) the V will be at least 50cm long with the bowsprit and mizzen boom fitted and about the same in height Stephen :+1:

1 Like

Hi Johnny
Nice work. Perhaps next try a Grey painted hull - no need for glitzy paint on those.

Mal

1 Like

A close match is Tamiya Flat Flesh. FWIW.

I think I have found the perfect gold paint for the rear detailing.

Game color Polished Gold by Vallejo…it looks really really nice and also nice to apply as well.

Pretty happy with that little test area :+1:

4 Likes

Nice. Think that’s the gingerbread?

Mal

John, am I correct in thinking that the windows are moulded solid? :male_detective:

Yes Russell, it’s just one piece of moulded plastic…it’s going to be a very long laborious job painting it…but that gold does go on nice so I’m hoping that may help out … It’s one area I won’t be rushing as it’s such a focal point when you look at it and any clumsy painting will jump out and scream at you…

2 Likes

Are you tempted to remove the glassed areas as opposed to painting them?

You could box in some basic cabins behind… :thinking:

In a word … NO !!! Lol…

In all seriousness, I don’t have the skill or patience to do that and I know cutting out and even thinking about cutting out the windows would send me into an asylum… I would never be able to do it neatly enough.

The destructions indicate leaving the panes black, so I will just paint the frames and the raised details in the Game color gold.

3 Likes

Lol! I think all us ship modellers probably sail pretty close to the wind when it comes to spending time in an asylum, especially with some of the crazy things we undertake :laughing:

2 Likes

But in your borderline madness, the effects I have seen you and others like Tim @TimReynaga produce on your builds is exquisite…and they do look amazing :+1:

1 Like

:sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :laughing: :sweat_smile:

Put to the side but not forgotten… Have started this again… As to be honest, armour got the better of me until last week when SWMBO asked why is the ship you promised you’d do taking so long…so, started painting a few bits tonight and will make sure this now gets more bench time …

2 Likes

And not a moment too soon John, the Diorama Police (Maritime Division) are considering a sweep of multiple dry-docks in this zone…not sayin’ who tipped them off as she hasn’t applied for witness protection yet…oops…anyhoo just wondered if you’d seen this article about original paint scheme…

https://www.nmrn.org.uk/news-events/nmrn-blog/hms-victory-be-re-painted-battle-trafalgar-colours-after-210-years

That was 2015, not sure if your photo maybe pre-dated it because that still looks more black than the apparently more accurate dark grey? :tumbler_glass:

1 Like

Thanks for the Dio police heads-up…they are always lurking lol …
Ref the paint and the revamp, i think those were mentioned in this one a bit earlier, or another Victory thread. I will just be doing the normal old one that everyone associates with it… Plus I went out and bought that paint specifically :grin:

1 Like