HMS Victory OOB

I’m on a roll now :grin:

Mmmmmmmm guns :rofl:

This is one side done so you can see what it looks like .

And I used AV polished gold … looks ok to me … But hey, I ain’t no sailor :grin:

I also put down a thinned brown wash over the decks…
And I have to be brutally honest…I painted the poop deck ( yes saying it makes me laugh haha) the wrong shade… And even SWMBO noticed and asked why it was a different colour… I just said it was new replacement decking and she bought it without questioning it lol… So it’s staying that colour now :grin:

Will do a bit more later after I brave 40 mph winds and sheet rain to take this stupid puppy out lol …

Laters dudes :+1:

5 Likes

After this you should move on to the Airfix “Golden Hind”, not as many guns, but the painting scheme is mental with little triangles all over the hull, in about five different colours. BTW, I doubt this is 20+ years old, more like 50+; I remember it when I was a kid! My “Golden Hind” sat in the stash for 20 years, the kit was bought for my middle daughter when she was 6 - it was her choice! But about step 3 on the instructions was painting the hull, this put her off completely. I finished it 20 years later, she was impressed, she’s now 29!

3 Likes

I’ve got the Golden Hind (reboxed as the Mayflower!) and stalled 20 years ago after building the hull. I still have the masts and rigging somewhere, but the painted hull looks kinda cool as-is on a shelf. Probably nothing like the real Mayflower though…

Hi John, I don’t know if it’s too late to offer a thought, but you could grind the plastic from the backside of the part to free open the windows MUHAHAHAHAHA. Yes, that does work… just adding to that madness. LOVE the build. I built the Revell half a dozen years ago.

1 Like

Why does it seem people are intent on driving me to madness lol

2 Likes

Did you drill out the cannon? Hahahaha!

sssssssssssssssh :speak_no_evil: … no …none of the 16 will be getting drilled out lol … and thats why all the other gun ports are firmly closed up !!

1 Like

Added some more parts to the upper deck…

And decided to mask the upper hull sides and do a base coat of flat black over it all. Hopefully that will make painting the bands easier later on.

May try assembly of one or 2 of the masts over the next few days and see how they shape up…

5 Likes

Only just caught up with this one John; keep at it - already looking the biz.

One of the highlights of my somewhat chequered military career was attending a dining out on HMS Victory; the history and atmosphere was almost overhwelming.

1 Like

Are you going to plate the bottom…

I have been on the USS Missouri and stood on the spot WW 2 ended. I was humbled
In my journey through life there are two other ships I wish to visit.
First is the USS Constitution. Like the HMS Victory it is steeped in my countries history.
The second would be the HMS Victory, one of the grandest warships of all time.

1 Like

Greg, yes I will be doing the bottom in copper. The overall finish will be as it was for years and is now down in Portsmouth. I been on her a few times and it is a pretty amazing tub to look around. Lots of atmosphere in there… The tour is also very good as you get it done by a serving Navy CPO, who pretty much goes through everything including all the old sayings and how they originated etc, like 3 square meals a day, no room to swing a cat, freezing the b***s off a brass monkey… Etc etc

Did someone say copper? Scroll down at this site and you will see what color my ship’s copper bottom looked like after many years in the water, Click on the photos for a bigger view.

1 Like

Yeah, I know copper will tarnish very quickly… However, my HMS Victory will have just been re-coppered after a spell in dry dock…so it will be nice and shiney :grin:

Wonderful to see the hull coming together.

1 Like

Thanks HG, …
I did a few bits to keep it moving, in between doing the Pantsir and LAV-AD …

The 16 cannons have been fitted and the forward upper bulkhead (blue and pale yellow) is in place

The cradle affair(I have no clue what it’s called) that sits around the bow is also on now… Needs to be painted up though a bit later on.

Next will be painting certain parts on the sprue, and finishing the gold painting on the stern and the rear side parts.

3 Likes

Looks the biz John; I have to say the rigging would frighten me off!

2 Likes

Looking through several references old and new:
The heavy timber right at the front forming the prow is the Knee Of The Head. The top curvy piece of the cradle thing is the Head Rail. The lower ones are the Cheeks. The vertical pieces connecting them to form the grid appearance are the Head Timbers. I think the whole assembly is the head and is also where the crew’s toilets “The heads” are located.
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/57705/57705-h/57705-h.htm
http://www.modelshipbuilder.com/e107_images/custom/nautical-terms-for-the-model-ship-builder.pdf

Nice job. I admire your ambition!

2 Likes

It was for me as well initially, but Airfix do supply a nice little jig for all the main rigging sections on the masts, so hopefully that will ease the pain.

1 Like

Lovely info Danie and thanks for that and the links. Very informative. It is always great getting these little snippets of info, and once I read the part about the “Heads” I had a little bit of recall from one of the visits I have had to Victory and the Navy tour guide explaining about phrases and how they originated …

1 Like

This next part may break me …
I began the long tedious task of painting the gold work on the stern and side wings…

One thing to be sure of, it ain’t pretty lol… And God it takes ages …count to ten and on we go …

7 Likes