Hobby Boss Mig-31B

I THINK this is the Right forum for this particular model question. So I noticed this kit online and I believe I saw a AMK version at a hobby store today ( same scale) has anyone built either of these two kits. I’m liking the H.B. over the AMK. the H.B. appears to have more / better details than AMK. P.E parts. rubber tires, white metal landing gear detailed cockpit, etc. Any thoughts on which one is better ?

I’ve never seen the HB kit in the flesh, but have heard that it’s a pretty good kit from others. Seems like it is an early version, but could also be wrong. The AMK kits are better, but not perfect either (something about one or two bumps and a weld bead). AMK does two different versions of a later verity. They also do a deluxe kit and also did another similar one. I have that kit and it’s really nice, but also out of production.
gary

Thanks Gary, I’m still not sure if I’m going to buy it or go with a different model. I’m Also thinking about a Mig-29 since I’ve never built a Russian airplane model.

I was looking at MiG-31 last year, I couldn’t find one for a reasonable price but the AMK kit reviewed better than the Hobby boss kit

I can only speak on the AMK kit,I did it last year and it built up real nice,I bought the upgrade kit that included metal landing gear and more PE

Thanks. I’m still thinking about it.

Thanks I’ve never built a Russian airplane before. Thiers several different ideas to run with. I haven’t really looked at any of the SU Versions, but I’m also thinking about trying the GWH Mig-29C. 9-13 ? So it will be alot different than a NATO / US aircraft. Plus I like the way the Mig 29 is manufactured. great design features, details, p.e. parts. Etc. Though I wished it had rubber tires, and white metal landing gears.

I have the GWH F-15E in the stash. It looks like an absolute beauty in the box! So I’m sure their Mig 29 is excellent

The SU-25 and SU-27 are also great options

WOW. COOL I will have to check that out ( videos,) I would love to know how that build goes. I’m hoping it will be something I can do in the near future. But I have so many other projects waiting to be built. Including the Z.M. F-4EJ Kai 1/48 scale. which in itself is a pretty amazing model.

That GWHMig-29 was one of my favorite builds

3 Likes

WOW. Very Nice. What brand of paints and colors did you use. I Hope I can do something that looks just as nice.

Unfortunately they were Modelmaster Enamels,but AK-Real makes Ruddian colors and they work the same as Tamiya paints.

LOL. Yeah I understand that. I’ve used M.M. Paints before and Agree, they were not very good. Better than Testors. But I prefer Tamiya overall. I guess though that I Might have to try some AK Real ? at some point.

No,thats not what I meant,I loved MM Enamels and still horde the few bottles I got left !!!

Unfortunately,you cant get them anymore.

Oh Okay. Sorry. Yeah I’ve noticed that as well. But I suppose that with all the newest types in the market AK, MIG, and with Tamiya & Vellejo seemingly to be the most predominant ones available. Though I’m still seeing alot of Testors paints out there as well. It’s not surprising that MM would be the ones to be pushed out of the game. Though I thought that’s what would happen to Testors first. The funny thing is. I still had about 5 bottles of MM as of late last year. But I couldn’t get them to open. As they had been sitting for so long and I guess had dried up and sealed up so tightly. I ended up tossing them out. Replaced by Tamiya color’s v

1 Like