Hobbycraft 1/48 La-5FN Speed Build

Last weekend I was requested to build another model airplane for my great nephew from his grandpa, my brother in law. I looked thru my stash for a simple kit, and settled on the old Hobbycraft 1/48 La-5FN. I had built the La-7 about 25 years ago, so I had a good idea as to what to expect. Since it is going to be a ceiling hanger in a young boy’s room I decided to take a no frills approach. I even decided to paint it the old fashioned way, with good old red sable paint brushes. In a nutshell I had fun doing this build old school, and it sure got my modeling mojo flowing again. I kicked off the build on late Monday morning.

So here it is, all finished in a bit over 80 hours. Hobbycraft’s 1/48 La-5FN built OOB. I did modify a few parts with files or filler here and there, but nothing beyond that. I also used the kit decals, which surprisingly worked very well.

Now it’s all packaged up for travel to my great nephew and delivery to him over the weekend

5 Likes

Don’t know what x gramps that makes you but he will think it’s cool. Way to go and the model looks good to boot. :+1:

Thank you Tanks. Grandpa/Brother in law is great with tools and such, but is not a model builder. So that’s a role I get to fill in the extended family.

1 Like