How can I contribute at KitMaker?

I took absolutely no offense in your reply and my apologies if I created that impression.

I know that outside the forums, the only reason for an account is to provide content.

I have however seen this “you only need an account…” sentence in several places on the site and I perceive it as off putting for getting an account and contributing. But maybe that is only “me”. :slight_smile:

Is the “contribution” process supported for mobile devices?

I don’t have a desktop available, reason for asking. Do everything via smartphone etc.

~Six months ago, I attempted to contribute a brief article via my Android smartphone and seemed to get caught in a loop unable to complete the article. Made a couple of attempts and gave up. Wasn’t sure if it was failure to follow the correct protocol or “contribution” process was set up for desktop PC/Mac.

As someone who has basically stopped using any other form of social media as a result of finding KM, I want to contribute as much as possible. I’m definitely not the best modeller out there, but I like writing so if there was some way for me to do in depth reviews or features or anything like that I’d love to get involved.

2 Likes

Launching a topic like this… and not follow up on it in 22 days?

I may not have replied in a while but I am reading all the responses. This topic was about submitting content after all. Sadly my follow up is that I haven’t seen more than a handful of new people posting content via the content sites. Still a few is better than none.

@staff_Jim

Jim is the question, I asked almost two weeks ago not worth replying too if you’re monitoring this thread?

Why should I take time and try to submit something again if you don’t take time to reply to my question about mobile devices?

Is the “contribution” process supported for mobile devices?

I don’t have a desktop available, reason for asking. Do everything via smartphone etc.

Honestly I wouldn’t know as I would never try to add content via that method. As this is a ‘forum’ I had hoped that someone who had tried (or succeeded) would answer your question. That didn’t happen so I can understand your frustration but I don’t have an answer for you at this time. I don’t have an Android phone so I can’t exactly check myself to see if there is a problem.

Jim, sorry, but this approach will not work.

I have full understanding if there are other things in your life that are more important for you, or that you need another day job because this site does not generate any/enough income, or simply that after so many years you are fed up with it.

In that case, please be honest about it.

But without clear leadership, do not expect things to sort out themselves. You may hope whatever you want, but the reality is that someone will have to take the manager’s role, and be very proactive doing that.

Concrete example: " DennisatAutoloader" concretely suggested above to contribute and got no answer in two weeks time. That is sending a very clear message to everyone “not to bother”.

I think an organization chart of who does what would probably help at answer questions about who to talk to. If @DennisatAutoloader was looking for free samples then as I recall @CMOT handles that, however if not then he would be free to post content as he likes by creating a new account/s on the other sites (as they are more or less independent from the forums) that he is interested in writing for say armor and airplanes. There is plenty of resources to help with posting as each area has someone posting at least news that can help on the how to’s for here.

1 Like

Lol. Well you have been critiquing how I run this community and sites for like 10 plus years now. So I can’t say I am surprised at your reaction. Just curious though, how many articles have you contributed on the new sites? I don’t know so I am honestly just asking.

I contributed zero. And you can find the reasons in this thread in case you would be interested.

In the last 10 years or so, and next to

I also offered concrete help in sorting out the programming to which you never seriously reacted. Much of the critiquing (nice word this is) was exactly related to the abominal state of that programming, and the absence of any communicated intend during many years of addressing this.

I don’t see the LOL in all this but I do see that contributions, next to praise perhaps, are not welcome even when intended to be constructive and demonstrating an involvement in the site that goes beyond “lurking”.

But thank you for being open, I got the message :slight_smile:

Jim,

No time to help me, help you by finding an answer or suggesting someone to contact? That hits me wrong given you asked for content support.

Of course, I realize content I can provide may not be up to your standard of excellent. If that’s an issue we could address those short comings.

I’m disappointed & annoyed it took two weeks and two attempts to be told basically wouldn’t try, don’t know & not asking when you finally responded.

Of course, its your site(s), your show & your circus :circus_tent: so its your way and I understand that. I’ve enjoyed being here and happy to kick in $15 a month as a patreon, supporting as best I can.

I’ll probably stick around until you ban me but I don’t feel $15 a month in support is justified when you don’t help me help you. Irrelevant in the overall picture but sums up my view of this dialog.

Okay perhaps we should all take three steps back, go put some tracks together, and come back with cooler heads.

@staff_Jim forgive a newbie trying to give input, but it appears that people genuinely want to contribute to the site. We all contribute a great amount to the forums, but many would also like to know how we can do more “magaziney” features on the sites, because many people still visit them to get their news and inspirations for the next project (as well as reviews, which make up a huge amount of the content on the sites and next to nothing on the forums).

If I’m understanding @Armor_Buff 's sentiments correctly (correct me if I’m wrong Wade), the community doesn’t have a great understanding of how we can publish this more official content, or get in touch with sponsors, or what have you. So if possible, considering your position as the creator of this network, could you post a cursory guide to how we can get more involved? IE people to talk to, posting guidelines, all that. @Tank_1812 mentioned this a little bit earlier. I saw the videos you posted about submitting content to the sites, but perhaps you could pin a written thread explaining this stuff for the those of us who want to contribute.

Anyways, all the best.

Regards,
Dennis

4 Likes

I find your response to my completely honest and up front post to be just as disheartening. I’m really not sure what people want from me at times. I think I was pretty clear I don’t have the time to do much of what is being asked. I spent a lot of time making those video tutorials for example. Now apparently that is not sufficient for some people and I need to create a written article. Okay. I will add that to my list of 1000 other things.

I took time out of my 30 minute lunch break to test the article creation using an iPhone. It worked providing you downsize the photos prior to trying to add them to the article. Now I need to find someone who has an Android phone. Who has an Android phone and would be willing to test it?

I will if you want, I’ve got a pixel.

1 Like

Any help is appreciated on that. Of course if there is some kind of Android bug that isn’t related to oversized images I am not sure there is much I will be able to do about it. I only can make minor tweaks to the content site code and mobile OS quirks are not my thing.

Yeah, it’s not happening with Android. For whatever reason the website rejects any and all photos, and refuses otherwise to submit. I don’t think it’s a big issue though, considering that submitting a feature warrants using a proper computer.

1 Like

@staff_Jim who is allowed to post content to the website? What sorts of restrictions/rules have to be followed? Sorry for the stupid question.

I don’t have a horse in this race, only an observation.
Jim is busy doing site stuff.
Can’t get to all things in short order.
Some stuff takes trial and error, some stuff can’t be done due to OS.

Maybe create a user bata team to work on or try out stuff to help with the process. 5 to 10 members maybe with different platforms?

Anyone who has setup an account can submit content. The submission has to be approved by a staff member of course. There are no hard rules or restrictions on the content provided it’s related to scale modeling.