How do you do your display base for a waterline ship?

Hello All,
Working on a couple of carriers as waterline models. I was wondering how you folks do your bases to display them. What is used for the base? How do you make the water? What techniques are use to paint/color the water? Being these would be my first attempt to do this, I would like to keep the process as simple as possible. Thanks to any who will take time to lend a hand.
God Bless,
Joe :+1:t2: :+1:t2:

I have been really tempted to try this technique:
How to Make a Realistic Ocean Diorama Base | Building the AFV Club U-boat Type VII D 1:350 Scale - YouTube

Jim

2 Likes

Hi jimb,
Thanks so much for that link. I just watched the video and it was fantastic. When you see it broken down to the several steps he took it seems fairly simple.
God Bless You,

Hi Joe,

You are probably working in a bigger scale, but I made the sea for my little IJN Ryujo with painted paper.

There is a complete description of the build process posted on the old ModelShipwrights site at:

2 Likes

Hi Tim,
Yes, the carriers are 1/720. What you did there looks quite impressive. What scale is that? I will check out the link hopefully a bit later today. Thank you for it.
God Bless You,

1 Like

Hi Tim,
Yes, the carriers are 1/720. What you did there looks quite impressive. What scale is that? I will check out the link hopefully a bit later today. Thank you for it.
God Bless You,

Joe, the scale of my Ryujo is 1/2400, but I learned the paper technique from a modeler who works in 1/700. His work showed that the paper method can definitely be effective in that larger scale as well. Happy modeling! :
:smiley_cat:

1 Like

Hi Tim,
1/2400? That is amazing!

1 Like

Hello again,
Hit the wrong button. I wanted to add :clap:t2: :clap:t2: :clap:t2:
God Bless You,

1 Like

That is a damn amazing little build Tim, that looks fantastic … brilliant :+1:

1 Like

Here’s some water-making techniques, although some are complicated and time consuming! http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37923
Although if I can do a reasonable job, anyone can:

Admittedly, some are better than others…I’m still working on various
techniques. All models are 1/700.
:smiley: :canada:

4 Likes

Reasonable !!! you’re having a laugh Leo … they are fantastic … I really like the top one with the choppy sea swells, thats spot on :+1:

:grin: I say “reasonable” because compared to some other modelers mine are mediocre. That pic with the Liberty ship is done using the aluminum foil method. That’s about the easiest, fastest, and least messy technique. And it turned out well for my first attempt. (Not too crazy about my use of cotton wool for sea-spray, though).

1 Like

Hi Biggles50,
Thanks for that link. I agree with Johnnych01. Reasonable? If my attempt came out half as good as what you did I’d be so excited I wouldn’t be able to sleep for a week. :man_cartwheeling:t2: :man_cartwheeling:t2:
God Bless You,

Nice work, Leo - your scenes are full of atmosphere. I like them a lot!

Thanks, guys! :smiley: :smiley: