How to 3D print

Ahhhh… Formlabs… if only… LOL!

I had the opportunity a couple of years ago to get a pair of the Model Monkey HMS Hood ship funnels in my shop to handle. To say that I was impressed by the quality of the parts and detail would be an understatement. Beautiful design and printing!

My client sent them to me to make a pair of the distinctive cages that cap the funnels and which support large canvas funnel covers used when the ship is docked.

However, I did use my little AnyCubic Photon to print up the bending forms to fabricate the brass rod parts and the assembly fixtures used to solder those parts together. These 3D tools were dimensioned directly from the Model Monkey parts.

A bit of a segue to the main topic, I guess. I suppose though it might offer up another example of just how useful a small 3D printer can be in your model shop. There are uses for them other than just directly making parts. Printing fabrication forms, molding bucks (for vacuum forming), molds for resin casting, assembly fixtures and tool jigs to enable other model making jobs or tasks is one of the things I use my 3D printer most often for. Making special “industrial” parts for custom modeling projects is another related use. (I recently printed battery boxes to hold 15 each, 1.5 V AAA batteries to be used in reproduction vintage radio batteries. A different kind of model making project, but model making nevertheless.)

To complete the Model Monkey HMS Hood funnel story, here’re a few happy snaps of the project (to illustrate that 3D printing is not only about directly making model parts). (Note that my client had already tried to assemble and install a couple of different PE funnel cages before he sent the project to me. This accounts for the black primer paint and tooling marks where those PE parts had been glued on and then removed.)

04 Cage Hoop Form
05 Cage Soldering Fixture
06 Outer Ring Form

7 Likes

That is pretty cool. I was thinking something similar for a Marine Sherman hatch cage jig but I was going more low tech then a 3D design.

2 Likes

Brilliant!

2 Likes

3D printing the forms to fabricate and fixtures to assemble the parts can add a degree of precision that’s hard to achieve without spending a ton of time and effort with other materials and techniques. Before I got my 3D printer, I might have spent hours machining these forms and fixtures on a lath and milling machine. With the simple Tinker CAD program and my Photon, I was able to knock these out in a morning (not counting the time to print which was spent doing other stuff in the shop).

Remember, too, these kinds of specialized tools don’t have to be particularly pretty, just functional and durable enough (even less so for single-use jobs). There is a balance, though, between the time it takes to do the CAD work and prep the files for printing and the time that the same general tool could be fabricated using more “traditional” materials and techniques. So, for some simple things, styrene and brass strips and rod might still be faster and easier.

However, your 3D printer is useful for more than just directly making model parts.

Oh, and by the way, 3D DLP parts printed from Elegoo standard gray resin will withstand the heat of a soldering torch! Note that the resin parts will actually burn before they will distort from the heat.

3 Likes

Reminds me of discussions on paper drafting and cad drafting. A one time use might favor paper but for a major change and associated work cad can win out.

Another tool in the toolbox to help achieve the goals of a project.

2 Likes