How to airbrush Tamiya acrylic paints?

Okay, regarding the cleaning. I never had good experiences with taking my airbrush apart to ‘clean’ it thoroughly. I feel more comfortable with following the user manual instruction regarding the cleaning of the airbrush. Much easier and takes way less time then taking apart and cleaning that way.
Regarding the thinning, I follow the strategy that is explained in a video on YouTube on how to thin and use Tamiya acrylic paints. And it worked really well for me. Although I think that I may try to thin with a 50 50 mixture of thinner and paint. Especially for current project where I need to get real close to the subject. And that I need to have hard edge camouflage instead of soft edge camouflage.
Thanks for replying.

I was also thinking of getting a different gun for use to spray metallic paints.
And I also use the brands own thinners to be on the safe side as well.
It’s also recommended by modelbouwkrikke.nl.
Thanks for reacting.

Isopropyl Alcohol

I’m not comfortable with making things myself.
I’m more comfortable with pre-made solutions.
And readily available thinners.
And it worked well for me so far.

I still think it could be your airbrush that is partly causing the issue. I personally would try as coarse a nozzle as the manufacturer provides.

But good luck, i’m sure you will find the solution.

Spraying tamiya paints is really quite easy. I would say i use a 75 % paint to 25% thinner. Make sure your spray tip is not damaged and the needle is not bent. Also make sure that the tips and needle match each other.
Check your specs for proper psi for spraying in your airbrush manual.
I was spraying at 20 psi for a long time and then recently noticed the manufacturer recommends 15. It has made a difference for me.
I generally use the X20a thinner an just bought some of the Tamiya lacquer thinner. I have also used lacquer thinner from the hardware store with Tamiya paints and have had no problems .
For cleaning the AB, it seems to me that following the recommended remove needle and tip works the best. I have skipped it the past couple days when just shooting Tamiya acrylics, but i would say tear it down , especially after shooting primer ( Vallejo primer to be exact. This stuff dried hard and makes tear down a PITA)
My novice opinion. :face_with_monocle:

Thought it was “Indian Pale Ale”, or is it just the same thing? :woozy_face:
:smiley:

1 Like

Could be an good idea, I will keep this in mind.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I don’t know.

Thank you for sharing this video.
I enjoyed looking at it and I definitely learned a thing or two from it.

1 Like

I use Tamiya when airbrushing more than any of my other brands other than Mr. Color. I spray through the standard Iwata HP-CS gravity-fed at about 12-18psi depending on the color (white seems to be a tougher one to spray) and I thin with 91% isopropyl alcohol. In many cases I thin up to 50% and still get good results. I work in a garage side room with no AC, only a fan which acts as ventilation. The garage is open to the exterior environment which is NW Georgia’s hot and humid summers of 85°F and up all day.

The alcohol will make all the colors spray matte, but you just apply a satin or gloss finisher to bring any desired shine back.

This is how I have been doing it for a decade now.