How to clean this airbrush cleaning pot?

Okay, so I have this airbrush cleaning pot that I have been using a lot during my airbrushing sessions before I got a second one for free with my Harder en Steenbeck Evolution 2 in 1 thanks to a action at Airbrush Services Almere with purchasing the airbrush.
Now I want to clean the first one, because I’m starting to care a little more about the general conditions of my equipment.
And keeping it a little more clean, also since I’ve realized that keeping my gear cleaner also reduces the chance of problems while operating or using it.
But the question is, how am I going to do this?
Because the paint has become rock solid, which makes me unsure of the correct way of cleaning it.
Here are photo’s of the inside of the pot:

Have a great week,

Roland

I suppose it depends on the type of paint. I use Tamiya acrylics only, and every so often I clean out my pot with dish soap. It doesn’t get all the crud out, but after soaking a bit a fair amount seems to lift off and can be rinsed away. But frankly anything that gets in the pot is “out of the system” and I’m not worried about it affecting future painting sessions.

2 Likes

Oven cleaner? Lots of posts of people using it to remove paint from previously painted models.

1 Like

Lacquer thinner. Pour about 1/4 cup in the container. Let it sit overnight and it should be easy to get out.

2 Likes

Personally, I’d toss that thing. I clean (spray the airbrush) into a waste basket filled with a used-up spray booth filters and a paint rag — a great way to get more life out of the filters. HTH.

Note: I’m talking acrylics, not flammables, i.e. lacquers or enamels. :fire:

—mike

1 Like

Use Super Clean, purple bottle, get it at Wal-Mart. Also great for removing the chrome plating on plastic parts. Another way is to use Tamiya airbrush cleaner (or the Extra Thin cement, same thing). It is acetone and butyl acetate. Any of these methods will work for enamel and acrylics.

1 Like

I keep a waded up paper towel in the bottom of my cleaning pots and replace them when they get too saturated. Makes cleaning the pots a lot easier as the towels absorb most of the paint and thinner. Just remember to do this regularly and your pot will be alot easier to clean.

4 Likes