How To Paint An IJA Tank

Now that I have to try!
I really want to do a Type 89 now!

1 Like

No, if you lift it in a rolling motion it will not pull up PE.

2 Likes

Or a Type 94 or Type 95 or Type 97…

1 Like

Beautiful work Matt , nicely done !!!

1 Like

Thank you Glenn!

1 Like

Well, I already did the Chi-Ha and the Ha-go.
Got hooked on them jap-tanks.

1 Like

Yeah, there’s just something I love about IJA armor. Maybe it’s all the rivets. I’ve now got enough kits and conversions to do about 35 different AFV’s. Interesting camo too. Japanese tanks are clunky but they’re cool.

1 Like

Wish I had seen this Before I tried to use AK’s masking putty, you’re absolutely right about it’s characteristics Matt @SSGToms it will not retain it’s posture and allow a feathered edge when air-brushing.

cajun :crocodile:

1 Like

Sorry to hear that Terry. The stuff does creep. It also infiltrates mesh and grilles and will destroy them when removing, and will pull up any PE it is covering. These traits are not in the advertising!

2 Likes

Bit steampunky, in a way.

1 Like

Yeah, now that you mention it, that’s exactly their appeal!

1 Like

An AK product with questionable results…I am shocked. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

My experience with the panzer putty–in addition to it’s not wanting to stay put–was that it interacted with the underlying paint coat and left a stain where it was in physical contact. Will never use it again.

:beer:

3 Likes

Hmm. I’ve used it several times with no issues going over Tamiya and AK Real Colors. To get a hard edge I push it down on the edges with a chopstick that is flat on end and rounded on the other. You do have to do the paint job in one session. If you leave the panzer putty on overnight, gravity will start pulling it down.

2 Likes

FWIW - Panzer putty, Mr Hyde, Andy’s putty I strongly suspect all of that stuff is theraputty

There may be less expensive sources than ye ole mail order hobby shops etc.

1 Like

Another tick in the “don’t use” column from me for the putty. Tried for some star wars figures I did camo and it ran very bad and also had a strange residue. Specifically was using the AK camo putty

2 Likes