Hungarian Leopard 2 camo scheme query

According to this article (in Hungarian) they’ve picked the FN MAG: Magyar Leopard harckocsik éleslövészete - Harci Vasak Blog

Thank you. That MG is a great weapon that rarely jams and is a great choice.

I have purchased the decal already but not yet used. It looks really nice. The manufacturer / company owner has very good reputation in Hungary, a safe purchase if you opt it.

2 Likes

Excellent and inspiring topic:)

BTW - Am I the only one that keeps misreading the topic as HUNGRY Leopard 2 :leopard:

Just wondering

2 Likes

Hi Dan, there are some minor changes which you need to follow if you want to build a model. There is a strange feature on the top of the turret left side:

Also the 6+2 smoke grenades, and also the FN MAG). I did not see other than these but they are so visible that you would surely need to improve any manufacturer’s kit chosen.

Best regards,

Thank you.
That object looks to be a frame.

Looks like some kind of storage-box rack.

Hi Dan and RR,

So far I am not aware of any modeler knowing the purpose of that frame. I have the 6+2 smoke grenades, proper MG and the decal sheet but this frame will be hand made. I am still wandering if anyone would make it from photo etch.

Maybe the Hungarian Leopard are ex-Dutch. The frame on the turret may be for the Dutch stowage box. The use of the FN MAG mounting might indicate and ex-Dutch, too.
Legend Productions has a conversion that might help.
http://www-legend.co.kr/portfolio/lf1121-leopard-2a5a6nl-conversion-set/

Edit: Just read the the tanks are probably ex-Austrian.

Leo 2A4 delivered to Hungary came from those stored at Krauss-Maffei, the article does not mention who owned them before they were stored at Krauss-Maffei …

Hi Hermann,

Interesting point (even you corrected it to Austrian, also Robin pointed out it). I have the Revell 2A5/2A5NL extra NL sprue that includes this container you have mentioned but not the frame. I asked that sprue from Revell aftermarket service (and they were great to send me free of charge) because I wanted to build a 2A4NL version from the Meng kit. By the time this sprue landed on my table, I was more than shocked reading the purchase (leasing) contract of the 2A4HU version. So plan changed and now I will build the Hungarian version. That frame is likely a handmade part using 0.15 styrene sheet or photo etch (whichever will be easier to do).
But the purpose is still a mistery for me.

Cheers,

Tamás
ps: the Revell 2A5/2A5NL kit has the same sprue, btw. I have that kit (just finished) and now I have both sprues, not used…

1 Like

Maybe we should wait for pics of the Leopard 2 in action/on exercise?

No need to wait already. Action!

3 Likes

Who Let The (Big) Cats Out?

1 Like

It`s always funny to play with “kittys”. :grin: What does the title of the video mean?

1 Like

Big Cats (Were) Let Out

1 Like

So I see that Leopard Workshop makes a FN MAG Leopard Workshop : LW047 - Leopard Turret Top FN MAG/C6 Machine Gun
But it is out of stock-any idea where someone can find one elsewhere?
Thanks

Dan, this kit has it. The kit has an option for the Koninglijke Landmacht which includes the (original belgian made) FN … :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks-maybe I can find the tree somewhere.

Thanks for posting the video, Tamas! Brings back some fond memories of my service time in the late 1980’s, though I was only in my first year on the Leo 2A4. The other 3 years I drove a MAN 5 to gl truck and our unit had no fuel trucks. So when our Leos were out in the training area (usually over the weekend :grin:), we had to refuel them with our 20 liter jerry cans … :wink: Times are changing.