I love kit -1/700 USS North Carolina

So I bought this model, and noticed that the wooden deck supplied is painted blue.

I tried to find any information on this, but all the photos I found showed the wooden parts, well, wood colored; same with old black and white photos -they seem to be lighter than the surrounding camo.

Is this any way historical? (Also: it is very dark blue which does not seem to take the scale effect into consideration.)

If not, what can I do with the laser cut wooden deck apart from giving it to my daughter to play with? Thank you

The blue deck is correct for a paint scheme, if that lines up with kit features for that timeframe I don’t know.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/55a.htm

HTH

1 Like

Is this the kit?

1 Like

Yes, it is the kit.

Thank you for the response, so the blue is correct. I guess I will have to repaint it in a much lighter tone, right? (I do not yet know much about warships -normally build mud-dwelling stuff. But I am learning…)

Only if you think the deck does match deck blue 20B color. No expert but it seems to look the part to me.

1 Like

Oh boy. Lots of new colors to learn and to find in paint… Does AK or any of the big ones do the US naval ones?

Yes, AK 5001 Deck Blue 20B or Life Color is UA 624 looks to one’s that are label as such and look the part. I have Vallejo 867 or 900 listed as such but additional searches those don’t appear correct to me.

1 Like

Here’s what freshly painted Deck Blue 20B looked like, in this case, on USS Missouri at the surrender ceremony in Tokyo Bay. Notice how dark it is. Deck Blue 20B was a camouflage color, intended to look like the ocean in order to help conceal the ship from the air. Generally, as long as the ship wasn’t creating a wake, 20B was considered fairly effective when viewed from a distance.

Here’s a US Navy ship camouflage website worth bookmarking (click here).

The US Navy called ship camouflage paint schemes “measures”. There were many different measures. They changed frequently. For example, USS North Carolina wore 7 different measures during World War Two (click here), including dramatic Ms.32/18d, which was originally intended for destroyers (that’s the “d” in 18d). Pick a measure you like.

Here’s USS North Carolina wearing Ms.32/18d during the war. Notice how dark Deck Blue 20B appears. Although Ms.32 normally calls for the darkest color to be black, North Carolina substituted Navy Blue 5N for black. Substituting Navy Blue 5N for black was relatively common.

Here’s how she looks today wearing Navy Blue 5N, Ocean Gray 5O, and Light Gray 5L:

Hope this helps!

3 Likes

Thank you all very much for the very comprehensive, useful advice. You are very kind.

2 Likes