IDF 1/35 Halftrack Diesel Engine Upgrade set needed

Hi. Dragon has released several 1/35 IDF Halftrack kits. Most depict early version vehicles which underwent numerous modifications and upgrades and saw active service well into the 1980’s. I wish there was a diesel engine upgrade set available to transform the Dragon and Tamiya kits. The needed modifications aren’t too complicated in 1/35 scale. I believe what is required is a small M113-like instrument panel to replace kit dashboards, an M113 type air cleaner under the middle/right windscreen, muffler housings on both front fenders with associated mufflers and exhaust pipes leading behind the driver/co-driver compartment, a flat plate covering the radiator instead of louvers, revised headlights, and extended battery box under the righthand door. The Dragon TCM-20 Kit already has the needed battery box and new headlights, and I think all their IDF Halftracks have the Pioneer Tool Rack under the driver’s door. Please feel free to add anything I might have overlooked. Many years ago I acquired an AEF Designs IDF Recovery Halftrack conversion that provided some very simplified diesel upgrade instructions and a couple of needed resin parts like fender muffler housings and the extended battery box. In my opinion the resin components were some of AEF Design’s better efforts notwitstanding their usual poor instructions. I hope an aftermarket or 3D printer producer decides it would be profitable to produce the needed diesel engine upgrade parts in the near future. I’d appreciate any comments, suggestions, or opinions from anyone with an interest in this subject. Another enhancement for all Dragon and Tamiya converted IDF Halftracks I find visually appealing is the substitution of the front wheels with slightly larger AFV Club M35/M49 Tires with Tamiya or Dragon wheel hubs. Happy modeling to everyone, and best regards,
Pete Bruno

2 Likes

I can’t answer your questions; IDF is not in my wheelhouse; but welcome to Armorama Pete! We have guys here who are IDF wizards so if the stuff is out there, they’ll have answers for you.

1 Like

Thanks for the warm welcome. I’ve been reading the forums for a while and found many interesting conversations with very knowledgeable people as well as novices like me.

1 Like

3D in scale is a vendor on Shapeways that has conversions for half tracks. I know they had an M5 hull plus most of the IDF changes, such as the passenger machine gun and, I think, “diesel” interior. You might check them out

2 Likes

Pete, check the Shapeways, and there may already be something. I can tell you off the bet that no 3D modeller myself is willing to touch it because it is definitely not going to be profitable.

2 Likes

Hi Mr. Baker. Thanks for your interest in this subject. I have a couple of the 3D In Scale windscreen machine guns and M2 external fuel tanks, but will look for the possible diesel interior you mentioned. Their pricey M5 conversion with interior is something I’ll probably buy in the future. I have a few other Shapeways IDF accessories from their other vendors like M50 turret mantlet and rear bustle correction, and “Isherman” barrel support and rear hull stowage basket. Thanks again.

1 Like

Hello Mr. Lee. I appreciate your professional advice. I didn’t think the few necessary parts would be cost-prohibitive but I have no way of knowing. I can probably do some scratchbuilding or kit part swapping for the M113 instrument panel and air cleaner. The flat radiator cover is easy, and Dragon TCM-20 parts can be scrounged for the headlights. Dragon IDF kits all provide the extended battery box and pioneer tool rack. Sheet plastic and rod can be used for the 2 muffler housings and mufflers. I think the most difficult part is the 2 compound curve exhaust pipes. The numerous Shapeways searches I’ve done haven’t turned up anything useful for an IDF diesel halftrack conversion but I’ll keep looking. Their search engine is cumbersome for me. I have seen some of your excellent 3D printed products, like the Sheridan bustle rack you’re working on. I found adapting the Academy rack to the Tamiya turret adequate for my purpose. Stowage and tarps camouflage the rack fairly well, but your 3D project looks fantastic. Wishing you much continued success.

1 Like

Pete,
Thanks for your comment. The main issue with CADing any sort of conversion parts is that it’s very time consuming - hours and hours of researching reference photos and measurements, trying to fit the parts onto the existing kit while not compromising too much accuracy. Then the design needs to be in a 3D printable size.
Printing may take a few hours and tries, too. For a specific niche project like what you’re referring to, a designer would be lucky to sell 2 sets of prints. I highly doubt that one would recover the ROI of time in any shape or form. That’s the reality the fellow modellers do not grasp.

1 Like

Hi again Mr. Lee. I appreciate that you took the time to thoroughly explain the lengthly CAD and 3D Printing procces involved in designing and producing new products. I learned a lot from you today. Now I understand why my suggestion isn’t practical for a potentially very small market. I’ll have to overcome my laziness and tackle this diesel update with plastic strip, rod, tubing, and copy the necessary M113 control panel and air filter. Wish me luck because I’m sure to need it. Thanks again. Best regards,
Pete

3 Likes