IJN ground vehicle colors

What color(s) did IJN use for airfield support vehicles? Info I’ve found is dark blue, but I suspect that was pre-war and Home Islands. (one photo I saw (B&W) was “black” … jives with dark blue… with chrome bumper and headlight rings.) I am looking for forward bases … Rabaul, etc. Have done a Komatsu G-40 in Kure Grey and Type 2, Ka Mi in an IJN grey (forget which one) Would think vehicle in combat areas would be a less “sore thumb” color than glossy blue. (IJA painted theirs IJA Khaki. )

K5Y1, Type 93 Trainer entered service in 1934, so …

3 Likes

Here is my largely scratch built IJA Hucks type starter truck using Hasegawa’s 1/48 Isuzu trucks as a base . I used Hasegawa’s recommended color mix as a base - 2 parts Tamiya XF 49 Khaki to 1 part Tamiya XF 64 Red Brown. Pre shade with thin black then base color. Halo pattern highlights in several steps with base color lightened with Dark Yellow in stages . Filters in thinned brown oil washes .

1 Like

I don’t know why it won’t allow me to add photo.
??

1 Like

IJA or IJN? Dont think IJN used Huck starters.

1 Like

My bad - thought you were looking for both .

1 Like

No Autopsy, no foul. :slight_smile: Got the 1/48 TX-40 fuel truck , IJA. Will be doing the Huck starter (hasegawa TX-40/ UM AS-1 kit bash), also IJA. Planning on aTX-40, IJN … to go with the G-40. Have the Kurogane and a Type 97 side car combi on the list too.

2 Likes

Having trouble with iPad - trying this on phone.
Here is my Hucks starter . First blog I ever did and I believe it is on archived Aeroscale site . If interest I’ll see if I can get you a link .

3 Likes

Looks good. Would the star have been on the grill or the work stand like you did. Heres the fuel truck as it stands now.

3 Likes