IJN Kagero 1/350

We all want a head shot of you wearing those dollar store glasses Tim …

5 Likes

Tim,
All this pe work is amazing. How do you grip the pieces. I’m having dexterity issues as well as dry skin on my fingers which affect my ability to hold a pair of tweezers without them slipping out of my hands. Do you have any methods you use to mount the pe?
Thanks
Padawan John

1 Like

Tim,
All this pe work is amazing. How do you grip the pieces. I’m having dexterity issues as well as dry skin on my fingers which affect my ability to hold a pair of tweezers without them slipping out of my hands. Do you have any methods you use to mount the pe?
Thanks
Padawan John

Thanks John. I too have some dexterity issues with tenosynovitis (the joints often lock) in one finger on each hand and my right thumb. Irritating, but tweezers are my friend. I use Revlon eyebrow tweezes which are finer and better quality than those made for model building. Also, I often use a small dampened paintbrush to pick up the tiniest parts. Mostly it is just a matter of moving slowly, patience, and persistence.

Now, on to the davits!

The Tamiya kit’s davits for the 7.5 meter boats aren’t bad, but the brass davits from the Infini set (apparently inspired by the Tamiya parts) are better. Even better than these are the Fine Molds injection molded davits whose more slender profile, lightening hole depictions and other details more closely resemble the real fittings.

Not only are the Infini brass davits a bit too wide in profile, but even more importantly, the etched brass parts are just too thin.

They aren’t perfect, but the Fine Molds injection molded plastic davits (from set WZ1 of their 1/350 “Nano Dread” series) have the best combination of scale solidity and delicate detail.

10 Likes

Hi Tim,
Thanks for the reply about the tweezers for holding the pe parts. I agree with your analysis of the different davit options and selecting the Fine Molds set. Will you be rigging the blocks per the diagram later i your build? "i assume if so, it will be after painting. It’s really looking good.
John

1 Like

Hi Tim, … Will you be rigging the blocks per the diagram later i your build? .
John

Probably so!

The kit 7 meter cutters are improved by Infini’s brass oars, thwarts, and rudders.

Even better are their cutter davits. Their fold-together design enables detailing on both sides and keeps the etched brass parts from being too flat, and in the case of these smaller davits this approach works perfectly.

Combined with their cone shaped turned brass bases, they are big improvements over the kit parts.

10 Likes

Really nice work here Tim… always great catching up with these updates

1 Like

Really nice work here Tim… always great catching up with these updates

Thanks John!

Now that the Super Bowl is over I’ll spend the rest of the evening playing with the foredeck.

This anchor cable from YXModel is among the really cool aftermarket parts I’ve found for it…!

5 Likes

The kit foredeck is credibly executed, but the details are simplified.

Aftermarket to the rescue!

Five Star Models makes some beautiful replacement mooring bitts especially for 1/350 scale destroyers – these are what Five Star calls the “large” size!

Also test fitted here are the jackstaff from the Infini set, two tiny Five Star resin roller chocks, a sea bollard, plus brass ventilator and capstan parts. The handwheels are Infini, and that stunning 3D printed anchor chain is from YXModel.

10 Likes

Once again Tim - so much for a “quick simple
build “
Nice work . Will you be doing early scheme with the big Kanji characters on the hull ?

1 Like

Once again Tim - so much for a “quick simple build “ Nice work . Will you be doing early scheme with the big Kanji characters on the hull ?

Thanks Richard. I know, it really did start off simple but “mission creep” has set in as I keep discovering more and more of these luscious new aftermarket bits! :face_with_peeking_eye:

And yes, I have always liked the look of those Japanese ship names painted on the sides. My Kagero will represent the ship as in November 1941 before wartime security eliminated all the cool markings.

5 Likes

These anchor chains really make the difference :star_struck: :+1:

2 Likes

Great update … That PE and chain look superb :+1:

2 Likes

The amount of aftermarket stuff that has been released for ships is staggering. It is really impressive what someone can achieve with a proper inventory of these little gems.

Very impressive! :+1: :100:

2 Likes

Tim,
That fore deck is really looking the part. All those after-market parts are really impressive.
John

2 Likes

Thanks guys. Yet more aftermarket:

The kit rangefinder is not bad, but Five-Star’s resin and brass replacement part is better scaled and more delicately detailed. The real fittings came with either square or rounded style hoods, but we don’t have any photos of Kagero showing which type she carried – so rounded it will be!

Here it is test fitted along with the Infini brass etch above the aft torpedo reload stowage.

6 Likes

Among Kagero’s gear aft was a large winch.

Infini provides a magnificent 25-piece turned brass and etch upgrade that is MUCH better than the simplified Tamiya kit part.

Here is the new winch in place among the paravanes, their handling cranes, depth charges, vents, and other equipment. The plastic kit parts test fitted here are decent enough, but most of these will also be replaced with Infini and other upgrade parts.

9 Likes

Tim,
That brass winch is a huge improvement. I would go nuts trying to put 25 parts together to make something that small. My hat’s off to you!
John

1 Like

Wow … that turned brass and PE winch is light years ahead of the kit offering - It looks lovely :+1:

1 Like

25 Piece… :scream: :scream: :scream:

If I was building that it would not look nearly as good as it turned out for you. Awesome job as always Tim!

1 Like