Inpact Martin-Handasyde 1911

Tim that looks great. Well worth the fiddling about. I think this is the first shot where I’ve really been able to acknowledge how realistic that wood grain is!

2 Likes

Tim an absolute beauty, you make it look so easy and those turn buckles are a nice catch making the rigging look very realistic.

2 Likes

Absolutely beautiful. Gluing the pe over the lines is a brilliant idea- it looks quite convincing!

2 Likes

That really is a gorgeous model!
Paint work, rigging and the spoked wheels bring it to life.
I was hoping that they would take the weight and looks like they do.

2 Likes

Thank you guys!

This has actually been a fairly straightforward project - fitting the spokes was a new experience for me, but the wood effects, rigging, turnbuckles, etc. are things I’ve done before on ships. Aircraft (at least at the modest level I do them) are so much faster builds than ships!

I had painted the engine and fuel cells with Testors silver and copper enamels, but even though this was to be a “clean” aircraft, they still came out a bit too bright. A thin sloshing of Windsor & Newton Burnt Umber oil wash was an easy way to very slightly dirty them up and tone down the effect.

10 Likes

Very impressive Tim - overall look is really nice.

2 Likes

It looks great.
The old engines need a bit of oil and grease to bring them to life!

3 Likes

Thanks guys!

With assembly finished, I thought it would be fun to add a final accent to the plane.

The Dutch company Reality in Scale makes a set of resin birds for dioramas which would be perfect.

Since the Martin-Handasyde was a British aircraft and flew only in Britain, I wanted the bird to represent a species common there. I also wanted one with attractive coloring; Parus Major, better known as the Great tit, fit the bill.

Now sporting my best rendition of Great tit markings, the little bird was attached to one of the Martin-Handasyde’s kingposts.

Perched on this strange mechanical oddity, the professional aviator checks out the amateur.

10 Likes

OK! THAT is one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen! Awesome, wonderful and an amazing build. Interesting turnbuckles too. Truly a stunning presentation.

2 Likes

Tim that finishing touch of the great tit is the icing on the cake to this fantastic build, bravo. :clap: :clap:

2 Likes

It is an amazing build! Congrats, loved every word and pics uploaded.

Tamás

2 Likes

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

And done!

5 Likes

You may be surprised ( or maybe not ! ) at what comes up if you google great tit …

2 Likes

I should just box up my un-built kits and send them to you. Your work always brings me a breath of fresh air. Well done. Did the original aircraft have some sort of seat belt or was it like flying in a lawn chair? Safety, I guess, was not invented until sometime later.

3 Likes

I normally major in AFVs (when I actually get going) but this has been a joy to follow; informative, the historical, tips and techniques, all resulting in a little gem of a model.

And the Great Tit viz “the professional aviator checks out the amateur”. Priceless!

Simply superb.

2 Likes

TopSmith
I should just box up my un-built kits and send them to you. Your work always brings me a breath of fresh air. Well done. Did the original aircraft have some sort of seat belt or was it like flying in a lawn chair? Safety, I guess, was not invented until sometime later.

BootsDMS
I normally major in AFVs (when I actually get going) but this has been a joy to follow; informative, the historical, tips and techniques, all resulting in a little gem of a model.

And the Great Tit viz “the professional aviator checks out the amateur”. Priceless!

Simply superb.

Thank you gentlemen!

Yes, the aircraft did have lap belts, although - amazingly - many early aircraft didn’t! I made no representations of them here as I thought the dress and demeanor of the pilot figure suggested that he was just hanging out in the cockpit (maybe after driving to the field in his motor-car… hence the gloves and goggles) but not actually preparing to fly.

Anyway, this was a fun project - and thank you all again for your kind comments!

4 Likes

Stunning Tim! I really hope you’ve got somewhere to show this thing off.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ll echo that!

1 Like