Interesting Flat Car Load

Excellent :smiley:

Not a flatcar load but a load of flatcars (and gondolas.)

ddaytrain2

ddaytrain5

ddaytrain6

2 Likes

CCKW’s converted to railroad locomotive use:
England and Italy

3b043917be4b2d133fd89e37598a52db

image014

Photo Michael Roques Collection

Photo Michael Roques Collection

Note: Variations in wheel design.

2 Likes

FYI ~ That very first photo, way back at the beginning of this thread, is of an S-160 locomotive built in 5 foot gauge heading for lend-lease export. Those engines heading for Russia had to be loaded on flatcars as they could not be towed rolling directly on the narrower US gauged track.

The locomotive closest to the camerain that first picture is another S-160 that has been built to 4’- 8 1/2" (standard) gauge and therefore can be towed to the dock rolling directly on the rails.

These engines were built by ALCO, Lima and Baldwin, all to a common USATC, interchangeable parts design and were exported the world over - built to whatever gauge was called for.

14512817_7e827f78744685bd9297570ddc9089ff_large
Another S-160; 2-8-0 Locomotive in 5 foot gauge, headed for Russia.

1 Like

I know, I know, . . . . this model has been languishing in my stash for years and I need to give it some love and finish it up!

But when Frenchy posted all those fine photos of converted GMC trucks I just thought it was time to roll this one out again and share.

1 Like

Yes, roll that out. Very cool model. 1:35 I assume? What kit are the wheels from?

Yes it is 1/35th.

As to the wheels I think these were PSP resin but several small hobby manufactures have made these down through the years. With a little luck you should be able to find a set on eBay or at a hobby show.

I got this set thru “Scale-Link” in Britain back in the day. If you contact them they may still have a few sets though I do not see the wheels listed in their online catalogue. They are now doing their own resin casting so if there is enough interest they might run off another batch.

VV35036
Photo Scale-Link/P.S.P.

1 Like

Thanks. Scale Link Ltd, bookmarked

I have bought any number of items from Scale-Link and have always had good service and reasonable amount of shipping time ~ Highly Recommended!