Is AK discontinuing its Real Color range?

I don’t use either of those other two products, but I have lots of jars of AK, Tamiya, Mr. Color, and a good chunk of Model Master basic colors.

1 Like

So do I. Mainly Tamiya and AK; with a few leftover Model Master jars.

1 Like

So far I can only find info about the sets, not individual colors. I wonder when they will roll out the entire range, and whether it will include all or most of the colors they used to have.

1 Like

I’d bet the slowest/bottom selling 5 to 10 colors are the ones that get axed.

1 Like

That would be my guess too… but as to which colors those might be… aside from Spanish Green for AFVs… seriously how many Spanish AFVs do we see built?

2 Likes

Well? Since AK Interactive is based in Spain… Just sayin’

1 Like

I know… but French AFVs have seen a LOT more action….

1 Like

As I noted in a previous post, I have the new Real Colors brochure since I’ve done the editing, which lists the complete color line, all the initial 3, 4, 6 and 8 color sets, and the standard conversion tables with other paint lines as well as the original Real Color line.
Yes, the military line is changing and colors are being removed. All the standards are there of course - American, British, Soviet, IDF, NATO, etc. But the more esoteric colors are no longer there like Spanish Green as noted above, the various Middle East tans like UAE Sand, Egyptian Desert Sand, etc. The armor related line is definitely smaller. The military line of armor and aircraft is 130 colors, the basic colors are 26 and the civilian colors are 24. But I’m sure the line will get added to over time and/or special editions done, as an example they previously did a limited 3 pack of Australian armor colors that were never released in the normal Real Colors line.

4 Likes

Thanks to the information in this thread, I picked up a bottle of AK Real Egyptian Sand for AFV’s and a few others.

NEW AND IMPROVED MODEL PAINT, FINGERS CROSSED might be of interest.

1 Like

Well the original Real Color supply is running out. I just scoured the CONUS and came up with 25 bottles of CARC Tan and 24 bottles of Forest Green. And trust me, NOBODY has Olive Drab #9, not nobody.
I love using Mr. Color Leveling Thinner with it. Why are they messing with a sure thing?

1 Like

I bet I can look on our warehouse shelves Monday and find plenty of those colors. It all depends on the hobby store suppliers/importers/wholesalers.

2 Likes

Carlos, if you find RC23 Olive Drab No. 9, please tell me what US retailer you service so I can hit them up for 25 bottles.

1 Like

It’s great that you’re helping AK get the new Real Colors range going by buying up the old stock :smiley:.

But I can tell you that the three colors you’ve mentioned will still be in the new line, and that Mr. Color Leveling Thinner will still work just fine - as a matter of fact that thinner is specifically mentioned in the new brochure. Don’t consider it as messing with a sure thing, think of it as refining a fine wine to make it even better.

And here’s a cropped page from the brochure on paint equivalents showing the three colors you mentioned and their new number in the new line:

3 Likes

You might have email your favorite retailer and ask them to order it for you vs waiting til one orders it for general stocking.

2 Likes

Thanks Jon. At least you’ve eased my panic a bit.

1 Like

Believe me Ryan I’ve already done that.

2 Likes

Now having said that, I have been buying up a few extra bottles of some of the colors that don’t appear in the initial release of the color line (not to say they won’t be released at a later date)! :grin: As I noted in a previous post, most the Middle East countries “tan/grey” colors, and a few of the Russian WWII camouflage colors.

2 Likes

I didn’t take any chances, I made a reserve of paint for all my pending projects!

1 Like

At AMPS, the guy that carries the AK RC line, Microworld Games, had already marked his paint rack with red stickers on the colors that are being eliminated. There are about 15 or 20 of them. A majority are obscure RLM colors, and all the IJA colors, and as discussed, some rare armor colors.
Honestly, my other concern is economical. I personally do not consider it a great selling point that the new formula is pre-thinned for airbrushing. I can thin my own paint, thank you, and like to thin it at different ratios for different applications. I like to thin with MCLT. So I like to start out with a bottle of full strength paint. Having it pre-thinned just means that AK is selling me less paint for the same price. I do not like that at all.

3 Likes

That’s the imbalance in the force I felt. I find AK’s lack of faith…disturbing. (j/k)

AK best take care as that RLM Experten gang has some rabid personality types in it.

1 Like