Is AK discontinuing its Real Color range?

I just went to AK’s site to look at their sale and was very surprised to see that they only have a handful of random colors listed, and only three or four sets (also very random ones, too). In addition, the promotional literature they used to have about the Real Colors range is no longer on the site and the site design really de-emphasizes the range almost to the point of ignoring it. It really seems like they’re killing off the line, frankly. Anyone have any insight into this?

2 Likes

I don’t think they are. The REAL COLOR paint line is their best offering to date.

3 Likes

No idea but I found this after a google on Reddit…

2 Likes

Okay; that makes more sense. Their discontinuing their “Gen 1” in order to reformulate a new “Gen 2” that will be available when they’re ready. TIme to stock up, I guess…

1 Like

Rumors of course.

Changes could be as minor as little tweaks and corrections for color accuracy.

One of my sources that claimed to have inside information on AK, implied several of their colors were just made up on the spot to get the paint line launched. Supposedly, they would be “fixed” in the future if the paint line proved successful.

I think Mig launched ATOM paint recently and it’s getting “rave reviews” so AK might have something up their sleeve.

3 Likes

I get that. I’m personally waining myself away from Tamiya and buying more AK Interactive - not only their REAL COLOR paints, but also their washes, which i think are great. AK has a larger color palette that reminds me of Model Master, plus the advantage of being acrylics, which I think are more “forgiving” than the old MM enamels.

1 Like

That does sound like a likely explanation. Now that I think about it, it is similar to how they went about discontinuing their first like of acrylics right before introducing the 3Gen paints. If true, I’m guessing the roll-out will take place very soon, as there is little remaining of the Real Color range right now and they have a 40% off sale on that.

3 Likes

Like i said earlier - time to stock up.

2 Likes

I have to agree, if one really likes a specific paint product and gets good results there’s something to say for a stock pile. I’ve had two scares of running out Pactra Acrylic Flat & Floquil Railroad Antique Bronze. Wished I’d stock piled more than I did of both several times. Managed to find additional in time but paid top dollar for it.

2 Likes

I agree as well, trying to use up all my Tamiya paints also but I have so many it’s gonna take time .

1 Like

That is what is happening. I was at my local LHS to get some AK actually, and asked about the empty slots and yes they are reformulating the line.

2 Likes

Going to have to make it a top priority on my next trip to the hobby shop on Sunday to pick up some extra bottles.

1 Like

If you’re looking for WWII armor colors be aware most of the German colors are out of stock in many places.

1 Like

As someone who does editing for AK (and edited the new Real Colors brochure) I can tell you that the military colors do not appear to be changing (not to say there isn’t some minor adjustments going on to the actual colors). The biggest change is the packaging, with a new style of bottle, as well as a new line of civilian colors (i.e. specific colors for various racing teams and brands). And with this the product numbers are changing as well.

6 Likes

So I did some more searching and found this brochure that AK just put out a little while ago:

It shows the new bottle (eye-dropper style, but not the same as their 3Gen or Vallejo’s bottles) and new paint sets that are coming.

They also seem to be more clearly labeling the paint as a lacquer.

1 Like

“Designed for Airbrushing”… So this means that, like Vallejo Air; these paints would be airbrushed straight from the bottle (hence the dropper-style bottles).

1 Like

Nice bottle. Wouldn’t mind having some spare ones like this for custom mixing.

I’m up for buying this set and given the new version a chance.

2 Likes

I was wondering if they were going with droppers. I was just about to design a custom rack for holding the jars but I guess I’ll hold off for now.

1 Like

I’d bet you that these bottles will fit your paint rack the same way the Vallejo Air or AMMO by Mig will fit in; just my opinion…

As for my choices.

I have so many kits in the stash, most of them are modern, but I also have some WW2 German kits, like my Meng King Tiger, and I will definitely need to keep my paints stocked.

2 Likes

I started working at a hobby importer/distributor warehouse a few weeks ago… the job sort of fell into my lap. We import and distribute the whole AK line, amongst other products.
From our boss/owners, the AK line is changing- new formulas, new colors, some colors being discontinued (no word on which), and of course, new bottles… which will not fit in the current racks at the retailers. I can tell you that there is plenty of original stock bottles available at this time.

2 Likes