Israeli Chariot - The M51 Sherman. 1967

I think the fog lights weren’t extensively used until 1973; you can also see that they relocated the spare tracks to the turret, rather than on the hull (to make space for an extra stowage box), which leads me to suspect that these updates were made before YK. I even think that the rear stowage rack (on my build) was done for 1973, but not 100% certain of this. The Academy kit makes an M51 from YK, while the Tamiya builds an earlier 6-Day War model.

M51 Sherman - 1967

M51 Sherman - 1970s, showing the modifications done since the 6-Day War.

2 Likes

I have the Tamiya kit as well as one of the Dragon kits, can’t wait to start them.

2 Likes

I made some of these IDF Shermans, I used a bit of leather brown on the mantlet cover.

2 Likes

I see a familiar face…

2 Likes
2 Likes

Finally got around to applying the decals to my build.

Used the decals from Academy’s M60A1 Blazer to add on the canvas panels on the turret. These were rather thin and I broke both on one side, but I made it work.

The. Used the regular decal set that came with the kit for the ID placards. Some Tamiya Mark Fit decal solution and that’s it.

And that should be it. I love how minimalistic the markings are on these vehicles.

I’m using images from the M51 Sherman at Bovington as my main reference, so this should pretty much be.

9 Likes

This is my reference for my build. This M51 is part of the Tank Museum collection at Bovington. It is a 1967 configured M51 with the large spotlight up front, but unlike many of the M51s I’ve seen, it sports T-84 rubber chevron tracks, (also seen on the “Fury” M4A2E8 Sherman at Bovington) as opposed to the more common T-80 Metal Chevron tracks, used on Israeli HVSS Shermans, like the M50 or M51.

1 Like

Is that guy on the fender drunk or dead?

Is from the movie “The Big Red One”; its a scene where a group of German soldiers play dead while the squad of Americans, led by Lee Marvin, march into the area; it leads to an ambush, and eventually to a scene involving a pregnant woman giving birth inside the tank.

The movie was filmed in Israel, so they used a few old M51s as stand-ins for German tanks throughout the movie.

1 Like

It is coming along really nicely. Great job so far.

I just won an Academy M51 in a raffle at a show over the weekend. I’m looking forward to building it as well.

1 Like

The Academy version makes for a very nice Yom Kippur model.

2 Likes

My build is complete.

Totally enjoyed this build from start to finish. I also posted on the IDF 75 Campaign with a couple more photos.

9 Likes

Very nice.

2 Likes

Very nice job Reynier

2 Likes

Thank you. :kissing_smiling_eyes::+1:

1 Like

Great build from start to finish.

Cheers,
Ralph

2 Likes

Yup… just finished building this for the 2nd time (1st one got damaged during a house move) the Academy kit is excellent (apart from the figures which are subpar…)

2 Likes

Sure looks really good!!

1 Like