Israeli Defence Forces M-51, Six-Day War, 1967

Following the completion of my IDF M-1 Super Sherman,

I have resurrected another shelf queen, a M-51 also from the Six Day War in 1967. The real vehicle is well documented, and SaBinGaMartin have issued decals for this particular vehicle. The base kit is the Asuka M4A3 combined with the Tamiya M-51. More to follow.

List of kits used:
Asuka U.S. Medium Tank M4A3E8 Sherman “Easy Eight” no. 35-020
Panzer Art no. RE35-099 Differential cover for Sherman tank (final model)
Tamiya M-51 no. 35323

Robert Manasherobs books are invaluable, and for this project I can only recommend Vol. 10
https://www.sabingamartin.com/books/sherman10.html
It has pictures of the above vehicle, and a lot of pictures of the M-51 found in the Russian Kubinka museum. The M-51 in the museum is from the Six Day War, so similar to the one, I want to build.

SIM-020_small

7 Likes

Today’s update, Tamiya turret, Asuka hull, MR Modelbau barrel, transmission cover from Panzer Art.

5 Likes

RFM

Why did you use the Asuka hull? For the angle of the glacis plate?

1 Like

Hi Nikos,
This kit was begun long before the RFM M4A3 kit came out. But I’m not sure, I understand your question? Do you prefer the RFM Sherman kit over the Asuka kits?

1 Like

“RFM” was the answer to the question for the manufacturer of the transmission cover.

My question has to do with the use of the Asuka hull. Why did you use it? Because of a specific characteristic (the front glacis plate angle) or it was the one you had available for a welded hull M4?

1 Like

Well, I need a late (wet) M4A3 hull for this model, and at the time, I began this project, it was the best hull available.

The funny thing about the original vehicle is, you can not tell, if it is based on the M4 or the M4A3 hull.

1 Like

Did they cut off the engine deck hatch supports from M4A3s when they were being rebuilt to M51s?

1 Like

If it was a M4 would it not have a 60 degree glacis instead of 47? The photo looks like as 47 degree glacis.

1 Like

That’s a good question, I’m not sure, that feature can be seen in the picture?

1 Like

The vehicle in the picture for sure is based on a late, wet hull with large hatches and the 47 degree slope. But only the angle of the upper rear hull will tell, if it is a M4 or M4A3. Or M4A2 for that matter.

2 Likes

By the looks of it: no, it can’t. Which can mean two things: either the hull was from an M4A3 and they cut off the supports, or the hull was not an from M4A3 to start with :slight_smile: For the modeller, this is really only relevant if there would be scars, but it’s the kind of detail you’d only want to add if you really want to show that it was an M4A3 to those who pay close attention, IMHO. And the jerrycan is in the way for seeing the angle of the rear plate, so that doesn’t help either.

3 Likes