Italeri 1979 Mercedes 450 SLC 5.0

My latest completion is the Italeri 1979 Mercedes 450 SLC 5.0 as it appeared in the Rallye Bandama Côte d’Ivoire 1979:

I did mine as the 2nd place car driven by Björn Waldegård & Hans Thorszelius. In addition to the Italeri kit, I used the Modell Bau Mürau P/E set for the kit. The fit of the kit was ok, and I did have some trouble with some the P/E details, but overall I am happy with the results. I did have to cut the studs off of the rear wheels to get them to fit under the body, though. The body is painter in Tamiya Gloss Aluminum TS-17, and the hood is Tamiya Semi-Gloss Black TS-29.

Some interior shots from during assembly:

Not the best, but it’s an interesting addition to my collection.

Jim

7 Likes

I like it !

Thanks, Patrick.

Jim

Nice build Jim, a bit clean for a mud-basher though :sunglasses:

Cheers, D

Thanks, D. Yeah, let’s just say it “pre-race.” :grin:

Jim

Jim,
Don’t faint, but I’m actually back after a rather long time trying to get back to the bench and KitMakers/Auto forums. Our life this past few years has basically been nothing but a nearly continuous round of medical issues, Doctors, lab tests, Hospitals, and procedures. Wife’s latest stay at the hospital is now a whole new set of health issues. My advice is stay young, and just don’t get old (only wish there was actually a real way to do this).
Interesting subject as I’ve never gotten into Rally racing as there’s really none to speak of here in the good old USA. Nicely done build which presents the car as more of a show car then one ready for the Rally, and that’s how I really like to see models displayed outside of a diorama.
Paint and decals look great. Silver has always been a big time avoidance by me as the Metallic particles just stand out to much in the finish, but the Tamiya TS-17 Aluminum looks really good.
joel

1 Like

Thank, Joel. Glad you like it.

I had some medical issues a while back (radiation, chemo, surgeries, long hospital stays), so I know where you’re coming from. It sucks. Big time. Fortunately, my wife & children are healthy, so that’s a good thing.

Jim

Jim,
So glad that you’re on the road to recovery.
My wife is started suffering with internal bleeding that put her in the hospital. I’m still fighting a loosing battle with Eye Retina disease. This Thursday I’m starting another round of Retina injections that will hopefully slow down the spread of the disease. They gave my a max chance of just 10% as there’s been almost no research done on my disease as it’s pretty rare. At least I’ve got my heart issues under control after 30 years and more procedures then I can remember.
joel

1 Like