Italeri Land Rover kit - how good is it?

Take a look here : https://www.c1-models.com/land-rover

Most of their stuff is designed for the Defender series but many parts should be useable with a Series III…

H.P.

1 Like

I’m not sure about PE but you might find some military pieces should, should you wish to militarize it etc, here:

Kit Form Services Ltd

1 Like

The first thing that needs to be said is to never rule out anything with military Land Rovers. The military Series III LWB came in three basic flavours:
GS - General Service: MilSpec (Military Specification) with Heavy Duty chassis and Springs, simplified 12v electrics, overriders on front bumper and bumperettes on the strengthened box section rear crossmember, tools on the rear tailgate.
FFR - Fitted For Radio: As above but with 24v electrics and extra battery capacity. Flaps in the tilt for cabling out to aerials.
CL - Civilian Logistics: Standard civilian spec Landy, sometimes with tweaks to use military bits. Perhaps the most noticeable feature is the fuel filler cap for the rear-mounted fuel tank (the military version has the fuel tank under the front seats, but note adding a rear fuel tank to increase capacity is simple and popular modification to ex-service MilSpec variants by civilian owners) and the lack of overriders and bumperettes. Note however some GS variants seem to have come from the factory with civilian rear crossmembers, this comprises the components greyed-out on the Italeri instructions beside part 69 and above part 8, check with your sources if this is applicable to the vehicle you wish to model, or if you wish to convert to a CL or civilian vehicle.
As far as I can ascertain the model is a good representation of a GS 109, having a bolted gearbox crossmember and extended rear leaf spring shackles. However the rear body panels on either side of the tailgate are in the CL or civilian style,
the location of the indicator and brake lights needs correction for a GS/FFR.

Regards,

M

2 Likes

IIRC, the original release of the kit had left hand drive only. Later issues of the kit have the options of left or right side drive. This may or may not be important for your project.

1 Like

I´am going to do a British Army vehicle, so RH steer is mandatory.

1 Like

Well, not really, BAOR vehicles were mostly left hand drive.

4 Likes

@Frenchy and @BootsDMS, thanks for the links guys.

It’s nice to see the KFS back in business. Last I had heard the owner was closing down. But, glad new hands brought it back to life. That pink panther sure looks amazing. I wish they had also introduced a conversion for the Italeri or Revell kit as £175 is bit high for the moment.

1 Like

One of the great joys of the KFS site is that it makes a great reference if you’re making the same model but in 1:35 - or derivative of - of what they have in their lists.

1 Like

Thanks Brian I didn´t know that. You´ll never learn out. :grin:

1 Like

Just found the RoG kit in my stash. I think it´s little simplified, but nothing that can´t be corrected. I need at least the DEF Model wheel set. But first I have to check my reference .

2 Likes

I just learned that “Landys” were first used in the Korean War.
Image for discussion only.
I don´t think that there is a model kit of these?

2 Likes

Related thread : http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9457

H.P.

1 Like

The only other Land Rover that I’m aware of (in addition to the various Pink Panther and Ambulance renditions) is the one by AK Interactive, which is a Series II; if you’re desperate to have a Korean War vintage version I imagine that might be a decent enough base model, but I’m no Land Rover Ninja.

Incidentally, when it comes to the vernacular, we always referred to them as “Lannies”, or just “Wagons”(!)

2 Likes

I stand corrected. :frowning_face:

2 Likes

I wasn’t having a pop! I just wanted to explain a different term(!) I think most use the diminutive Landies.

3 Likes

Read all about it:

" The successor to the successful Series I was the Series II, which saw a production run from 1958 to 1961. It came in 88 in (2.24 m) and 109 in (2.77 m) wheelbases (normally referred to as the ‘SWB’ and ‘LWB’). This was the first Land Rover to receive the attention of Rover’s styling department. Chief Stylist David Bache produced the familiar ‘barrel side’ waistline, with a 5 in (12.7 cm) greater width to cover the vehicle’s wider tracks, as well as the improved design of the truck cab variant, introducing the curved side windows and rounded roof still used on current Land Rovers."

Series I

Series II (1958 to 1961, the Korean war “ended” 1953, still no peace though)

There were other differences as well, way beyond my knowledge.
The rounding of the sides is a rather visible difference.

The AK Interactive kits are Series II.

2 Likes

No offense taken. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The only (and closest) one I know…

H.P.

1 Like

Damn, wrong scale!:slight_smile:

Yes there are kits ,but really hard to find