Italeri M109 A2/A3/G | Armorama™

The only NM-116 I am aware about is the Norwegian modernised Chaffee.
Available as kit from AFV-Club with rubber band tracks:

Diehl T-150, from Shapeways, a very reliable method of increasing the cost of a kit :wink: :grin:

50% more Euro than the kit itself … ooohh my wallet cries in pain …
With slightly lower resolution they cost approximately as much as the kit

3 Likes

AFV Club offers the Diehl track for the Italian and Belgian versions (and many other European countries) as indy-link plastic tracks.

1 Like

Stephen,

Here are a few more pics of my Brit ie Royal Artillery effort:

Made back in 2019; a little earlier in 2015 I tackled the German version - M109G (which is an option in the kit I believe):

Not necessarily shining examples of the modeller’s art, but I suppose the point is that the Italeri kits can be made up to be at least passable; back when I made them I think they were possibly the only game in town in any case. If they’re still in anyone’s stash I would recommend building them come what may, but then, I have a perverse nature, or so it would seem!

4 Likes

Thanks for those.
They turned out really nice. I like the ground work too.
I’m keeping my eyes open for one at my LHS.

They both look great to me. Not saying the Italeri M109 series is junk, but it has been eclipsed by the much better AFV Club M109 series. They still hold up well for 1970s molds though. Your examples show that with a little work, they can still come out great.

Well, that’s very good to hear Gino; after all you would know!

I’d love to give the AFV Club kits a go but I’ve at least 2 more of the Italeri ones in the stash. I’ve always loved the squared-off, brutish look of the thing, especially the early versions with that stubby barrel. I first encountered it when a kid at a military display - I must have been around 8 or 9 - it was still in US OD at the time, quite a comparison with all the other British kit on display in shiny Bronze Green (including Abbot which had just made its debut).

Part of the display was live firing and the party-piece of the M109 was to fire both high and low angle with the shells arriving on the same target at the same time. Probably old hat to an old war horse like yourself, but very impressive to me!

I hope to depict an early US version (from my Italeri stash) in plain OD with white stars some day.

2 Likes

MRSI : Multiple Round Simultaneous Impact.

The poor sods you are firing at will take cover when the first shell bursts so you
want as many shells as possible to arrive at the same time.
It provides a force multiplier, if you have three guns firing and each can manage
3 rounds you have the equivalent of a 9 gun battery firing one round each.
Can only be done if there are different solutions to the ballistics calculations.
Doesn’t work at extreme range …

The point I’m making is that it was all impressive stuff to a 9 year old; the School of Artillery (at the time) did indeed fire the 2 rounds as a display of the artillery art. It was certainly a crowd pleaser back in 1965 or whenever.

1 Like

Another option for NM-116 tracks from SSR Models at €13.99