Italeri M32 Sherman Recovery Vehicle

I remember reading that this kit does not represent any version used in World War Two. But would it have been used elsewhere, say by the IDF?

That was because of the large hatch M4-hull, if I remember correctly. But pictures of those, being used in Europe late WW2 (1945 Germany) have surfaced.

Italeri used their large-hatch cast hull from their 76mm M4A1 without thinking or research. M32s were generally built on used hulls returned for refurbishment, the M32B2s for USMC being the notable exception. M32B1s were converted on small-hatch 75mm hulls.

That being said, a single photo has emerged of a large-hatch M32B1 and it appears that 91 new hulls were used by Pressed Steel Car in Dec 43 to make up the numbers. However, Dec 43 was the changeover month from small to large hatch hulls. While the exact split is not recorded it is most likely that the last of the large-hatch 75mm dry-stowage hulls would have been taken.

Clearly at least 1 large-hatch hull was used but beyond that, no-one seems to know. I have seen 5 mentioned, but probably an extrapolation from 95 of the 100 built being taken for DD conversion. But those hulls would have had the “cast-in applique” bulges over the ammo racks, not present on the 76mm wet stowage hulls. So the Italeri hull is still wrong, although it can be converted with card and putty.

The bottom line is that you can use the Italeri kit with some work (it has many other flaws including a too-thin boom…) to make an incredibly rare variant. There were 1,146 M32B1s and less than 5 looked like the one you can make from the Italeri kit.

If you want an accurate M32B1 then the Asuka kit is the only show in town. Superior in all respects to Italeri.

2 Likes

I remember this exact thing coming up when I bought one about 15 or so years ago. A total impulse buy when I saw it on the shop shelf, didn’t even have a phone with internet so couldn’t Google it.
And then of course began the research and finding out Italeri were mostly wrong and it got shelved. It crushed the excitement of wanting to build it right there and then. These days I’m thinking what the heck, just build the damn thing as is. I keep thinking about getting the newer Asuka so if I do, the Italeri will be something of a guinea pig in rigging the boom.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. It will simply go into my collection of kits then,

Yup. Just go for it.
Have fun with it. That’s what it’s all about, right?

3 Likes

That’s my thinking. There’s a better option now to spend more time and effort on. Somewhere I have got a book with excerpts from the M-32 field manual about how to rig it all up. So I’m thinking the Italeri is a good one to get my head around it all.

1 Like

You got images of how the cables are rigged up?
I’ve got a M32 as well, but am going to put it on Zvezda’s M4A2 hull. Make a marine-version.

1 Like

I’ll see if I can dig it out and post the relevant pictures. I’m fairly sure that’s what it has.

That’s another good point actually. The M-32 parts could be used on another M-4 hull. I do remember a conversion in one of the model magazines where the parts from the Italeri were fitted to an A3 hull. Not sure how common a variant that was, but it’s surely more representative of a late war M-32?

I used a few leftover parts from the Italeri M32 (upper and lower hull) to create this M4A1 HVSS. The Italeri hull is a decent starting point for adding a lot of details and conversion.

13 Likes

Thats a great looking sherman model there .

1 Like

I used it to made the IDF version, not too bad.

This!
Maybe just swap out the tracks?

3 Likes

That’s not a bad idea. I know Italeri tracks can be difficult. I can’t remember what track they were. Solid rubber block or V chevron?

This reminds me that I need to find that book I mentioned earlier.

1 Like

Looks like blocks

1 Like

Those Italeri tracks are a pliable as an oak wooden door. They look off, even when not applying to much tension on the runninggear and bending the idler out of line.

5 Likes

Grant your across the pond but an easy, cheap alternative.

https://shermantracks.com/catalog/t51.html

3 Likes

+1 for Panda Plastics T51 tracks! They are inexpensive, highly detailed, and easy to put together.

3 Likes

I’ve got a couple of Panda sets for some Dragon Sherman’s which came with the DS tracks. Very good tracks and I wish someone here would pick them up. Somewhere I’ve also got a couple of AFV Club tracks I bought just in case I needed them. So I might be ok to replace them. I might crack on with the M32 next year just to see what I can do with it.

@RonW that’s a very good description of Italeri tracks! I’ve a couple of the LVT’s I’ve been dreading building because of how inflexible the tracks are in those kits. I vaguely remember some tips about fixing the drive and idler wheels with metal pins and softening the tracks with hot water. One day I’ll have to just pluck up the courage and get on with it.

3 Likes

Usually they broke the idler wheel support.
I reinforce they with copper wire knot

1 Like