Italeri/MBK Leopard 1A4

Hi guys.
My first ever build posting on this site.I started this 1.35th kit way back in 2016.Before the new Leopard kits came out around 2013 the Italeri Leopard 1a4 was tricky to get apart from e.bay.I built up a little stash of e.bay winners and this one was a limited re.release in conjunction with Italeri/ Modelbau koenig in Germany.The kit is in a nice light grey plastic like the Italeri 1a5 kit they did and now re.released.I went a bit wacky with this one and decided to use an Eduard etch set for the Italeri Leopard 1a2.It has all the etch for the side tool clamps and the handy engine grille.I dont get on with photo etch as im somewhat clumsy. I ploughed on and also did the turret weld beads in Slaters microstrip as the real beads are pronounced and not recessed like the Italeri kit.Im hoping this one will be on exercise with some camouflage nets and resin crew.
Thanks for looking.
Richard

11 Likes

Looking real good! The old Italeri tooling was pretty good, and serves as a strong foundation for a Leo - I feel they still stand up against the more modern kits with a little effort.

1 Like

Thanks for responding.Yes with some TLC the Italeri 1A4 still builds into a decent model.Ive still got 8 Italeri 1A4,1A2 and 1A5s in my stash.Ive only got one Meng 1A3/A4 in my stash.The Meng kit doesnt make the Italeri kit obsolete as its far from perfect.
All the best from Richard

1 Like

Hey Richard don’t be hesitant to post your builds; you’ve got a great project going there and excellent results! Italeri kits can be brought up to par with some effort and it looks like you have put a lot of good work into this one. Your detailing looks really fantastic. Looking forward to seeing more.

1 Like

Richard - looking good; never enough Leopards on this site!

If I may add just one observation and that’s concerning the engine grill; if at all possible I’d try and remove it and then have a go at re-flattening it out - perhaps use a roller? Once it’s level again, then re-apply. Just an observation I assure you.

'Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. Some lovely detail there.

1 Like

Thanks very much for your kind words.Its coming along slowly.The mudguards need bit of attention as they dont fit too great when attaching them to the sideskirts.
Richard

1 Like

Thanks mate.Yes the grille keeps leering up at me.Think i shall prise the beggar off and use a newer one from the remaining 2 etch sets i have.Ones for the Italeri 1a2 kit and the other Tamiya 1A4 but fit just fine.The etch sets for these are getting scarce.I dont think id do the tool etch as they drove me mad.Too much intricate tiny bits to faff around with.I might order a few Grilles from Perfect scale modelbau as they sell them singuarly i believe.Ive ordered 2 more Leopards today!!!.This time x2 Leopard 2s.One will be a Dutch 2a4 and other an earlier Bundeswehr one based on an old Francois Verlinden Showcase book.
Good to hear from you!!!.
Richard

1 Like

I use the Perfect Scale Modellbau ones too - I recall they’re quite reasonably priced - and do make a difference I feel. However, you , might find that as long as you can get the old one off, you might be able to flatten it all out.

We’re quite well served with Leos I think - Revell versions abound, and of course the Italeri ones.

I’ll be looking out for your efforts(!)

3 Likes