Italeri/Tamiya 1/35th scale M47 in German Army service

I doubt any W. German M47s were still around by the time the M151A2 was fielded in 1972 to stateside US forces, probably later in W. Germany. W. Germany started fielding Leopard 1 tanks, replacing M47s, in '65. An M37A1 M38A1 jeep would be more appropriate.

By the way, MUTT was not an official name for this vehicle. Tamiya started that when they saw an ancient Ford ad that called them MUTTs. In the US military, it was called either an M151, 1/4 ton, or jeep. I have never heard actual soldiers calling them MUTTs.

2 Likes

Thanks HA, that’s the kind of informed Comment I really joined this site to get, I will look out for a M37A1, Though I am rather partial to the M38A1, I wonder if Willys WW2 Jeeps were still in Service, I know they were with the British Army as a relative of mine trained on one. Thanks for the info.

1 Like

Correction, I meant M38A1 (fat fingers). I don’t think any WWII Willys MB (M37 type) jeeps were still in use then either. Sorry for the typo and confusion.

2 Likes

A DKW Munga would suit a lot better here. Don’t think, the Bundeswehr had any US-Jeeps ever in their inventory. Though I’m not sure there’s a Munga available in 1/35 … :thinking:

1 Like

Elite Modellbau do one in 1:35. CMK also do one but frustratingly don’t provide a spare wheel. Both are resin which to me at least, present problems all of its own(!)

Personally, and I stress this, I wouldn’t add another vehicle to the base; perhaps some figures, but I feel another vehicle no matter how small, will make it look all a bit rammed.

Sometimes, less is more.

1 Like

Cheers all, informed comments are very welcome, the Mutt is out of the picture, but fuel drums are very much in, and I’m going for the crushed under the tracks one, to add some interest to the diorama without as has been suggested, overcrouding the scene.

using the actual model to crush the drum in a realistic way

3 Likes

painting such a fragile item is the challenge here, slow and carefully are the watchwords here…

2 Likes

Painting it with very watery rust tones letting each application dry before the next, as it’s mainly water, it should look good when it dries.

the Drum was rusty and leaked quite badly before it ended up under the track of the M47, so it won’t be missed by NATO.

2 Likes

my inspiration for the crushed oil drum, the leopard ran over it’s middle causing the drum to wrap around the track and jamb and rattle against the side skirts. A nice little detail in a great Movie.
[A lone German tank crosses Arnhem bridge – A Bridge Too Far (1977) - YouTube]

I’m sure it wasn’t a waste of time making this up, I’ll find another use for it later on, maybe a three jeep display with a Willys MB an M38A1 and this Mutt.

1 Like

Nope, we called them jeeps. I was actually licensed to drive those things.
Ken

1 Like

Gino, I was in beginning 1973 until 2015, and saw the M151 phased out for the M998 and all. Never heard the term MUTT, although I drove the darn things as well as serviced them. Always the “quarter ton” or “151”. I have owned an A1, and have pretty much restored an A2 sitting out in the garage.

The use of the term “MUTT” lets me know the speaker probably lacks the knowledge of the 1:1 scale item, but I’m sure they mean well.

2 Likes

M75 I’m not using the Jeep, as it would be an anachronism, as the two were not in service at the same time. Here it is in primer, I’ll find a use for it eleswhere.

1 Like

the crushed oil drum on the diorama base, it needs some more subtle details to make it believable to the eye, maybe tank tread marks both on the base and on the drum.

2 Likes

the tank commander, driver and hull gunner in position in their hatches, the tank commander, a seasoned WW2 panzer veteran, shows his experience by showing very little of himself as a target by peering just over the rim of the cupola. Something like that I expect, not that I was around in the 1950s to see it for myself.

the glass top isn’t fixed down yet, but I’ll place it on top for now to keep the dust out while I make some more drums to finish this off.

5 Likes

My recollection was them being called a “quarter ton”

1 Like

Yep, that’s from the official designation: Truck, Utility, 1/4 Ton, 4X4.
Ken

2 Likes

the M47 with the crew figures and it’s glass case glued down over the base.

5 Likes

going going…

and off down the concrete road it’s gone.

8 Likes

Very nice; the only thing I would suggest, and it is a suggestion, is that the antennae might be a tad too short, but I have to admit I’m no expert on early Bundeswehr radios.

What’s next?

1 Like