Jagdpanzer III/IV (Long E) | Armorama™

Here we take an inbox look at the Jagdpanzer III/IV (Long E) in 1/35th scale from HobbyBoss.

This is partial text from the full article (usually with photos) at https://armorama.com/news/jagdpanzer-iii-iv-long-e
1 Like

I became aware of this kit a few months ago and may purchase one at some point. Tristar made excellent models and this one looks like an easy build. It needs some tow cables.

The criticism that only generic finishing options are provided is possibly unfair given that according to this article this tank hunter appears never to have gone into production so there are no relevant unit-specific markings.

Chepster: Images and information online can be very wrong and so I am happy to take your point on board, but it could still be released as a proto type with the finishing scheme identified in pictures.

To my knowledge, this vehicle appears in Panzer Tracts 20-1: Paper Panzers. It did not make it past the design stage. Only drawings exist. Unfortunately, my copy of Panzer Tracts 20-1 is missing in action so someone else will need to reference that source.

There are some potential issues with this kit. According to the Wikipedia article, the bogies and tracks differed from those of a standard Panzer IV.

The Wikipedia article above references Panzer Tracts 20-1. A detailed analysis for accuracy will probably need to go through that small book.

Hobby Boss also produces two models of the Panzer III/IV with different turrets. I would like to see an accuracy analysis for all three vehicles.

Even if the Hobby Boss models do not match what drawings exist, they can still serve as conjectural vehicles. They are closer to reality than, say, a Model Collect kit.

As for markings and paint schemes, have fun! For me, that is part of the appeal of models like this one. CMOT is right about the boring decals. A good decal sheet would include generic battalion and division symbols, numerals in different colors, and perhaps some ‘nose art’. In my opinion, almost every conjectural tank model gets that wrong.