Japanese Tiger Tanks

A very interesting short video about Japanese purchase of German tanks and equipment

https://youtu.be/4AAik7LXwhM

Cheers,
C.

2 Likes

That was some interesting footage…Thanks for posting!
Cheers,

1 Like

Interesting story. Had seen one of the pictures before. Nice to know the context.

1 Like

It’s a Mark Felton video. That means maybe it happened, maybe it didn’t.

This particular video is about an invoice. That’s all. It got no further than an invoice.

Catchy title, though.

David

2 Likes

Yeah I know it’s all kind of iffy and legitimate proof is probably buried in the archives or lost completely. According to Felton they purchased them but never took delivery so technically I suppose they were Japanese Tigers.
Cheers,
C.

2 Likes

@DByrden,

Is Mark Felton marginal with his research or one those “Franz Kurowski” types?

Look on the bottom of a Tamiya Tiger tank…it says “Made in Japan”! :grin:
:smiley:

5 Likes

Mark Felton produces videos on a huge range of topics. Look at his table of contents and ask yourself can anybody be an expert on ALL of that?

So I took a close look at some of his Tiger videos, which is my area.

One video is all about an American scout car that ran up to a Tiger and destroyed it. There is indeed an American report about that. But American troops were notorious for calling any tank with a long gun “Tiger”. The German records show no Tigers near the area and no Tiger losses on that day.

Another video of his is about a Tiger that survived hours under bombardment. His video says it happened at the battle of Kursk, which is not true.
I tracked down the source of this error - it was a long post in a military forum from some anonymous person. He got it from a book but he added the Kursk detail himself.
The post contains the name of the village where it happened.
If Mark Felton were a serious historian, he would have located that village, and realised it was not near Kursk. That’s called “research”.
What did he actually do? He trusted the anonymous Internet post, and he filled a large portion of his video with background material about Kursk.

Now, all historians use material from other people, very very few of them actually observe the events they write about.
But the key thing that makes them professional historians, as opposed to people “mashing up” information, is quality control. They don’t just ask “what happened”, they ask “how sure are we that happened”. They reject unreliable data. They verify things. They are critical of all sources.

David

5 Likes

Yes,Japan did buy a Tiger I during WWII but when it was time for them to take it back to Japan they had no way of transporting it there.This video is pretty correct.

1 Like

Thank you - I wasnt aware of this. Dont normally follow Mark Felton

Oh - that is very good, very good!

If you want to watch a guy on YouTube who does his homework, check out TIK.