Kfz 19 Krupp Protze Radio Car

I’ve long had the idea of depicting the Anschluss using the oddest-looking Wehrmacht vehicles of the time. Was the title vehicle one that was existing in 1938?

" The Krupp Protze (officially L 2 H 43 and L 2 H 143) was a six-wheeled 6x4 German truck and artillery tractor produced between 1934 and 1941 and heavily used in World War II."

Very likely. They knew they needed mobile radio stations already before the war.

1 Like

According to “German Military Transport of World War Two” by John Milsom, the Kfz19 was a telephone exchange vehicle. There is a grainy photo of one in this book and it is on the Krupp Protz, L2H143 chassis, you will have a lot of fun scratching it! I did wonder if it could be kit-bashed from the Tamiya Krupp Protze and the body of the IBG Einheits Telephone truck, but I have them both and the latter is a bigger vehicle all over. The actual construction of the body appears to be different too. The one in the photo looks as though it is metal panels, whereas the Einheits one has the wooden panelled closed body. I do seem to remember there being a closed van version of the Krupp released by one of the resin manufacturers - it might have been Plus Model. To answer your original question, it would definitely have been in service for the Anschluss.

but Bronco seems to be hibernating (or worse …)

or

mmmm, a vac-form conversion

Fernsprech usually means telephone
BUT
the Kfz 19 came in two different flavours
http://www.kfzderwehrmacht.de/Homepage_english/Miscellaneous/Kfz-Numbers/Kfz__Numbers/Kfz__19_Fu_Kw_/kfz__19_fu_kw_.html
and
http://www.kfzderwehrmacht.de/Homepage_english/Miscellaneous/Kfz-Numbers/Kfz__Numbers/Kfz__19_Fsp_Betr_Kw_/kfz__19_fsp_betr_kw_.html

I tend to prefer the metal bodied version over the wood.

s_gl_Pkw_Kfz_19_FuKw

I suppose in the Anschluss era, the vehicle would be the metal body version. Thanks!

Yes, but that’s on a Horch 1a body, different vehicle entirely.

Ah, Airmodel - that must be the one I was thinking of. Vac moulded conversion - fun! I’d completely forgotten about the Bronco kit, not that I’ve ever seen one!

I was lucky enough to grab one before Bronco started going hard to find.

The coach (body) builder companies were most often totally separate companies from the chassis manufactures so this photo is intended to show the body and not a specific chassis design. This same photo was shown in the article that was referenced earlier. though yes, I acknowledge it is seen here on a Horch (Ford) chassis.

I thought the Horch was made by Auto Union? That is the current day Audi.

That chassis was also made by Ford of Germany - not implying here that Ford owned Horch - No! Sorry for the confusion.

1 Like

Indeed
or rather, DKW (DampfkraftWagen), Wanderer, Horch and Audi (which is latin for Horch (english ‘listen up’, hear! or hark)) merged to become Auto Union (four rings, one for each company). Auto Union was purchased by VW in 1964 and merged with NSU in 1969.

2 Likes