Kinetic 1/48 Mirage 2000B/D/N

I thought I’d post a build review of sorts of Kinetics Mirage 2000B/D/N and the issues that I encountered when building it. The problem isn’t with the fit of the parts, though there were some from my haste so not really the kit’s fault, but more with Kinetic’s instructions. I got the kit incredibly cheap (40 dollars NZ including shipping) as a couple of the clear parts were missing from the kit. There are parts to build three different versions so two different noses, three different tails, two jet nozzles, two types of Magic AAM (1 and 2), three drop tanks, two AS-30L ASM (2000D). No nuke for the N version however. I’ll follow the instructions and provide clarity (I hope) where needed. I’ll probably take a few days to photograph it and provide a description, so it’s not going to be instantaneous, but it should be informative (hopefully LOL)

Okay here goes!!

1/. Kinetic 1/48 Mirage 2000B/D/N by Chris Wilson, on Flickr

Front I.P. labeled in instructions as part E4 (Cockpit tub!) Actually part C4

2/. Kinetic 1/48 Mirage 2000B/D/N by Chris Wilson, on Flickr

Open hole near front of nose behind the radome for aerial part C45. Part F4 is a light and should be part C37 a slanted aerial.

3/. 20210228_183238 by Chris Wilson, on Flickr

Part F4 goes here!!

4/. 20210228_185019 by Chris Wilson, on Flickr

This should be clear part F7 landing lights.

5/. 2021-02-28_06-55-57 by Chris Wilson, on Flickr

Missing plates part C32 x 2

6/. Kinetic 1/48 Mirage 2000B/D/N by Chris Wilson, on Flickr

Second aerial should be part C36. Part F4 should be part F3 as far as I can tell. It was missing from my sprue.

7/. Kinetic 1/48 Mirage 2000B/D/N by Chris Wilson, on Flickr

Which jet nozzle??? It was pointed out by another reviewer that it’s open versus closed, but still it’s ignored in the instructions. Wings tips for the B/D models are parts E21 and E22 though only the N wing tips are described.

8/. Kinetic 1/48 Mirage 2000B/D/N by Chris Wilson, on Flickr

Parts F4 and C32 shown in place, though no mention was made of their installation.

The kit is well engineered, goes together well and is nicely detailed but the instructions let it down rather badly in my opinion. But it’s nothing referrence material and common sense won’t over come. I still recommend this kit to those of us who like delta wing and French aircraft subjects!!

1 Like

The kit doesn’t supply the bottom marker light for some reason though there is a spot provided to place it. So I got the Aires 1/48 position & anti-collision lights set #4300 and used the clear marker light for the missing bottom light. I struggled to find recommended Humbrol paint colours till I found a set of decals from a company called DXM Decals which supplied the info I was looking for. The grey is Hu126 and the green is Hu86. Thought I’d put this here just in case anyone else was looking for similar info. I’ve painted the kit accordingly and applied decals, the provided decals provide excellent stencils.The landing gear doors nearest the central external fuel tank are semi-closed when on the ground. I’ve glued them in place now I just need to paint them.

IMG_2250 by Chris Wilson, on Flickr

IMG_2249 by Chris Wilson, on Flickr

IMG_2248 by Chris Wilson, on Flickr

4 Likes

Well here’s the finished product, I did however fail to take pics after I unmasked the canopy! And it has now gone to its new home. Oppps! Sorry guys, anyway here it is in all its glory.

Kinetic 1/48 Mirage 2000D by Chris Wilson, on Flickr

Kinetic 1/48 Mirage 2000D by Chris Wilson, on Flickr

6 Likes

Looks great Chris!
The Mirage delta’s have long been favourites of mine, so always enjoy seeing one built.

Hi Stephen!

I really don’t build modern aircraft all that much. But this kit was just to cheap to pass up and I’ve got to say I really really like this kit! So much so I’ve got myself another couple. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

You’re doing a great job with it.
I’ve not been able to find one of these myself yet.
I’ve got the old Italeri 1/72. Planning on doing it in markings for operations over Kosovo with a pair of LGB’s. Don’t have anything yet in the collection from that conflict.

Thanks Stephen, I appreciate the feedback. I think the other two are C models. One of them came with just about every resin add on you could think of for around the price of just the kit. My local auction site has been costing me a freaking fortune recently lol. The other I think has LGBs in it but not sure.

1 Like

It’s all to easily when you find a subject and set of kits you really like!
At least you got everything you needed in the box. French ordnance is a lot less common in 1/72. I bought the Hobbyboss Jaguar A specifically for all of the ordnance they give you in the box. Should see me through a few projects.

And thanks for mentioning the paint you used. I’ve had a tricky time working out which green I needed!

1 Like

Hi Stephen

Yeah, I spent a few hours trawling the net for out of the tin paint solutions and I thought I’d put them up to save somebody else the time hopefully. And they looked really good when applied so that’s a bonus. Though I forget which brand of paint I used for the nose cone.

Cheers
Chris

1 Like

It’s a big help.

In a few other Mirage builds I’ve seen online, it’s been mentioned a few times that the exact colours are hard to pin down on account of the French using a system that doesn’t match Federal or British Standard ranges. I don’t know how true that is. You just have to go with looks right!