King Tiger Tank Porsche turret

Has anyone ever seen a pic(s) of a King Tiger Porsche turret with no zimmerit
I have an old Tamiya kit I found and want to build it, but I’m having trouble finding zimmerit for it

I cut my fingers on the Edwards crap before, so I don’t want to deal with it again

Tamiya ZIMMERIT COATING SHEET for 1/35 SCALE KING TIGER “PORSCHE TURRET” 12649 | eBay

You may also want to read this post:
Arnhem Tiger II WIP - Armor/AFV - KitMaker Network
Ken

@T-55A5 currently building a kit tiger Porsche turret. What I’ve been made aware of is that by fall of 44 zimmerit was nixed. So it is feasible that the Porsche variants still serving in heavy tank battalions had it removed but i wasn’t able to find photos. I would recommend that if you decided to do zimmerit to try milliput and trumpeters application tools, they work wonders. I would also recommend getting a thin piece of styrene to elevate the areas that tools would be attached to so you can have all vehicle BII attached without it looking weird.

Your choices for a sans-Zimmerit vehicle are limited to the first 3 Versuchs-Fahrgestell (trial chassis) V1, V2 and V3. However, here are minor differences with these vehicles, such as lack of external tool storage, sprockets with 18 teeth per ring, the binocular gunner’s sight, and front towing lugs with straight edges and flat front mudguards. V2 was eventually fitted with tools as found at the Henschel testing area at the end of the war. V2 currently resides at Bovington. No combat for these cats.

1 Like

Being rather pedantic, the KT had a Krupp turret version 1 and a Krupp Turret Version 2, erroneously called the ‘Porsche Turret’ and ‘Henschel Turret’ respectively. Both Porsche and Henschel bid for the contract and designed their own hulls, but both used the Krupp Version 1 turret in their designs.

I’ll crawl back in my box now…

Perhaps it would be more accurate for us modelers to simply refer to them as the early and late turret types.

1 Like

The problem is that the model companies and even some publications call the Porsche and Henschel turrets.
Ken

Just went over the KT (P) kit and it has been kit bashed, it’s missing parts, so it will be while before I work on it
Thanks for the info anyway

And that’s how we learned it… monkey see, monkey do :monkey:

2 Likes

Hey! Who you calling a monkey??! :laughing:

Which kit is it? You may be able to get some help with parts here.
Ken

1 Like

King Tiger Porsche Turret Tamiya No. 35169

It’s messing a lot of parts

I’m going to put it back in storage or sell it to someone for parts

Zimmerit application stopped in September, 1944, but the “Porsche” King Tigers had all been delivered months earlier. The early vehicles used in field testing were upgraded and eventually issued to combat battalions later in the summer of 1944, but in no particular order (the 506th Battalion had at least two of them when it received its King Tigers in August). There was no order to strip Zimmerit off existing vehicles, and I’ve seen no photographic evidence of this ever being done.

1 Like

Solution to the cut fingers and a better product.

2 Likes