Krylon decanting, use

I’ve only decanted Tamiya flats. I can tell you it may look all calm and cool in the jar, but if you disturb it too soon it violently erupts into a bubbling cauldron of paint and gas and bubbles. I’ve sealed paint into jars too soon and when opened, same thing, maybe not as bad as freshly from the can though

1 Like

I guess that’s the degassing question answered!

1 Like

So the best example I can think of is carefully opening a can of coke and little happens, shake it and you have a spewing degassing volcano.

3 Likes

I am not sure of all the physics involved. Pressurizing a soda with CO2 is sorta like a deep diver with regulated air and the blood. The diver has to degas on the way up or suffer the bends. In my mind if the gassed liquid is sitting open to the air, it should never have a problem. In reality the gas in the liquid can still make a mess if the liquid is disturbed. That is the process I don’t full understand. I know it is true. There is a deep lake in Africa where villager’s died in their sleep because the CO2 or methane in the bottom of the lake suddenly effervesced to the surface and pushed the oxygen away.

If you put a bottle of beer on the table - nothing. Slam oit down even slightly and you have a mess.

2 Likes