I never understood people who build several models of the same tank. My only attempt ten years ago to build two Churchills produced such a rollback that for half a year I completely lost interest in assembling models.
Both models, by the way, I did not finish.
However, the desire to understand the above people and try to follow in their footsteps has not faded. Undoubtedly, with an admixture of some own specificity, which will diversify the assembly. Three such lines are lined up in my head and stash, the first of which I present: “KV-2s are different.”
Being fond of compiling kitography, I know the model market quite well. It is all the more surprising that a model of a tank from an unknown manufacturer with a new manufacturing principle came into my field of vision.
Did you know that there are only 319 parts in the new Tamiya model of this tank? Approximately the same (slightly less) in models from Trumpeter. Zvezda has almost a hundred more, but here we are promised 818 parts! This is more than in the model 2A3 Capacitor 2P from Trumpeter’a! And this is a healthy thing.
At the same time – (drum roll) – all parts are already separated from the sprues. Not factory cut, but simply made without inlet feeders with no traces of ejectors or burr. No, there are several pieces on sprue frames, but there are very few of them and they are not critical. In this assembly, they were generally lost, but more on that later.
Most importantly, the model is completely environmentally friendly for the assembler: you can not use glue during assembly, but if you really want to, then please.
The instruction is a separate song: 42 pages of waxed paper in a format close to A4. Multicolor large detailed color drawings that do not leave an ambiguous interpretation. Parts attached at the current stage of assembly are highlighted in color, which looks extremely clear and understandable against a gray background of previously assembled parts. It’s a pleasure to build according to these instructions.
Because of so many parts, I had to involve an assistant for assembly. True, this assistant did not live up to expectations and merged in the middle of the project, leaving behind some lack of details. Although the most important and tragic loss is the drive wheels, it is most likely not connected with it: it is painfully large parts and both at once, which, from my own experience, I note, is rare. I am sinning but the supplier / manufacturer. It is good that a suitable alternative was found and work could continue.
Life is a harsh thing: it does not happen that everything is fine. The same is true here.
The dimensions of the model are somewhat gone from the scale requirements. So, with the required body length of 198.6 (6950) mm, we have 235 mm, the width should be 94.9 (3320) mm, and in real life 123 mm. What not to eat well!
With all this bunch of details, the weight of the finished model turned out to be 516 grams, i.e. half a kilo. This is a real weapon – you can’t kill, but you can cripple.
Yes, and the convergence of this pile of details is so-so. Plus, you need to make a significant effort when joining. On what the assistant was blown away.
The model has the usual functionality: the turret rotates, the barrel raises / lowers, the wheels rotate, the tracks are working, hatches open, the machine gun barrel turns. A well-detailed engine can be placed in the engine compartment, but for a number of reasons, one of which is laziness, I did not bother.
Minimum modifications were required. I drilled out the barrel of the machine gun, well, and attached a replacement for the lost leading sprockets.
The tracks are working. Collecting them is a real pleasure, especially after ordeals with T29 tracks. Painted black on hairspray and walked a little with a dry brush.
In preparation for the primer got out another jamb. The rim of the road wheels is given by a separate rubber-like part (which is strange) with a slight displacement of the mold. When trying to clean up, it turned out the lousy nature of this material: it is shaggy. And superglue won’t stick it! Plus, in preparation for painting, the wrong masking tape came to hand. Also white, the same width, but strong. When removing the masks, he tore off the paint, and along with the primer. It did not add love to the project.
Well, some illustrations.
In this form, this set was purchased:
Assistant at work:
and “non-standard” sizes:
Before and after primer:
It could have been done a little better. I could also play with varnish, filters and pigments. But … offended by the skating rinks, plus other projects are waiting and
…it’s just a joke: