L F Guidance on non lacquer metalics

I’m researching options for a finish on an old Academy Mirage IIIR, and Im minded towards a metalic finish. The last time I tried anything like that was a good 40 years ago and involved a hairy stick and Humbrol Enamels. For health reasons ( as well as maternal bliss) laquers are out as my bench is in the house.

Question: what non-lacquer metalic paints for Airbrishing would you good folks recommend?
TIA

Paul.

I have heard good things about Vallejo Metal Color range, but have not tried them myself:

Thank you very much Carlos. I’ll do a bit more digging/research on this.

I second this. These metallics don’t really compete if you’re looking for a reflective finish (like chrome) but otherwise they are excellent. They spray beautifully AND they brush paint beautifully.

1 Like

Thanks Phil.

I have several bottles of these paints, but haven’t tried them yet. The problem is, I need to actually work on something to get to the paint stage, and I have been horribly slow at working on projects.

1 Like

I have a bottle of the vallejo aluminum and yes it sprays nice. the problem i noticed is it is not tacky but it is soft and easily scratches as if it never fully cures. if you lightly scratch it with your fingernail it easily scrapes off. i even tried leaving it sit and checking it quite a while later and still scratched. i only use it for interiors or areas not exposed.

Joe

1 Like

If found this to be true of all Vallejo paints. I think it’s because they are true water based acrylics. I usually have to seal Vallejo with a varnish of some kind

1 Like

Joe, Mead,
thank you both very much.
Everything I’ve found so far in my research ( including Vallejo’s own How to guides in fairness) talk about sealing it with an appropriate varnish, but I have also seen some discussion of particular varnishess either taking forever to dry over it or reacting with the metal coat. Gonna have to try out a couple of different top coats before I let loose on the airframe.
Thanks again everyone. The input is very much appreciated.
P

1 Like

I believe i used testors rattle can lacquer clears over it, not positive, and they are still being made. i would try them, they are very mild.

Joe

Thanks again Joe. I totally get what you mean about soft not tacky. Its been on and drying for about 4 days and it sit seems “soft”. Going to give it another 24 hours then hit it with a varnish- which exact one yet to be decided.