La rencontre - The encounter

Bricks have been reused both before and after WW II.
My dad remembers when nails were straightened and reused.
Stuff, especially building materials, will be reused under three conditions:

1. It is technically possible. Bricks yes, mortar no
  2. The labour cost for reusing a brick is lower than the cost of a new brick. This includes the case when new product is not available (doesn’t matter how much you pay if there are NO new bricks anywhere)
  3. When conservational requirements take over. Rebuild the old building using old bricks, mortar, designs, work methods, material. Has to be the old hand forged nails instead of modern mass ones. Nobody produces new bricks according to the old methods and sizes.

Apart from the fact that the diorama will take place in World War 1, it is all very legit.

In pictures from destroyed villages (if anything was left), the roads look very clean, but otherwise there are piles of rubble all over the place. There would not have been a lot of civilians around after 4 years of war, so how big is the chance of them being around to clean up…

oops … missed the timing.

No clean-up while fighting is still ongoing and the next artillery strike can happen anytime.
If it was an active fight zone I would imagine that the troops controlling the area would do the minimum cleanup needed for them to move supplies et.c.

Well, since the tank is present, and the destroyed factory, the front will not be far away…

2 Likes

Do we know how big your base will be? By the time you’ve placed the tank & cart on the road maybe the opportunity for debris will be self-regulated? :tumbler_glass:

1 Like

I think 20x30 or 30x40 cm. I have foam baseplates in both sizes, and have to look in to it… See what looks the best…

Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

So do I Ryan… So do I :slight_smile:

1 Like

1/35th scale Trümmerfrauen (+ 1 Trümmermann :wink: ) from Preiser

H.P.

3 Likes

I love Preiser stuff but man o man it is hard to find.
J

1 Like

I can order it trough a model railway shop… does take a while, however…

Nice find… I keep this in mind…

And the sculpting quality of some of their “aging” sets may be not on par with other manufacturers more recent releases…

H.P.

1 Like

True… I have the soldiers on leave set and it indeed leaves to be desired:

3 Likes

True, but

the plastic is nice and soft and can be scribed and undercut into submission.

2 Likes

Nice… What is she supposed to hold on to?

The frame on the back of a Opel Blitz.

A gruesome scenario for sure… :open_mouth: Hence their unhappy appearance…

1 Like

I think your nurse and lady look great. You really think the quality is that bad??

The lady with the purse is made out of resin, by Nemrod:

As for the nurse, I added a hood and gave her a new left hand and converted the mug in het right hand to a collection box… Still, the details oob are rather naive…