Lackanooki in the South Pacific

I started carving the gearbox out of a chunk of styrene when I realized I forgot to mention another critical part of the diorama - the trailer conversion dolly:

Pretty straight forward - I sacrificed the rear of the White cab from the Atlantis kit and added a few bits. I still have plenty of small details (such as brakes and plumbing) to add but you get the idea. It’ll have six hole military wheels on it once they arrive.

9 Likes

For a little full color inspiration. Love the different shades of OD… :smirk:

5 Likes

I have a bunch of similar photos from Life magazine, but instead of the B-24 the spread features the C-87, which is what got me back into 1/48, well 48 years to be precise.

The really odd part about that photo you posted is that it was taken on the Gilbert Islands - the same as Lackanooki. It almost looks like the same location.

7 Likes

I imagine that the atolls of the Gilbert Islands do have a strong resemblance to one another, aside from the shape and sizes of the individual islands of the various atolls. The B-24 that I posted was supposedly photographed on Tarawa.

Here’s another photo from that series that gives a good idea of how the airfield layout looks

9 Likes

Some very nice neat precise work with all the surgery, scratch building and research… It’s well on the way now to being a very cool build :+1::+1:

Thanks to the arrival of several tire sets for several different builds, the trailer and dolly converter are closer to being finished. James Lee did very nice work on these, precisely to my very demanding specifications. Note Firestone logo and correct tread.

5 Likes

Hope this one is still in the process … it was nice seeing it get built up …

CCCCCCCCCCool, looking forward to follow the balance of your WIP !..Go,go,gooooo