Laquer washes eating acrylic paint

I’m currently working on my Das Werk 1:16 StuG and did a set of tracks last night. I primed with AK interactive red primer, waited to dry, applied ammo migs dark track, waited to dry and then finished it with ammo migs dark track wash. Some parts of the tracks look amazing and some look as if the paint got eaten away from the track wash. What am i doing wrong?

Sometimes you need to mot just wait for drying,it needs to cure 24 hrs??

Or could be the wash is just too hot, it happens.

Try coating the acrylic layer with a clear gloss varnish. This will protect the acrylic paint from the lacquer wash.

@RougePilot sorry i got to add that i did give it a shot of lucky varnish. Maybe I’m not being patient enough and should have waited a few days.

1 Like

could you send a picture of the affected paint, the varnish, and the wash? (the bottles/containers for the last two)

@RougePilot Fortunately it’s not big necessarily big areas but it is in noticeable spots. Hopefully weathering can hide it.

1 Like

Lightly dry brushing the base track color on the light spots will help hide. With the weathering process that follows should be easy to conceal.

As for the lifting, can’t really advise as I don’t use Mig’s paints or Mig’s washes.

1 Like

@Armor_Buff thank you, for the advice I’ll give it a try, my other thought is getting an oil color to cover it next.

Okay, found the culprit. For best protection/results, I’d recommend using a gloss varnish. Matte/Matt varnishes are somewhat porous, which means that the lacquer wash can get through to the paint. The gloss varnish will fully seal the paint and even provide a surface that’s better ready for a wash.

1 Like

@RougePilot wow I didn’t know that. I’ve always used Matt varnish because i didn’t want a shine. Thank you, now i can buy some regular gloss.

1 Like

Yeah, then when you’re done with the wash and other similar effects, you can spray it with the matte varnish to get rid of the shine.
Happy to help!

1 Like

@RougePilot man i feel like I’ve been making a rookie mistake for the pass 20 years now. Thank you for catching that

1 Like

No problem! It’s never too late to learn. Clearly, you’ve had some luck if only now you notice problems with the method.

1 Like

@RougePilot i really started noticing it last year when i did some oil washes with oil paints but luckily i covered that up and thought it was a one off issue.

1 Like