Large Mörser Karl dio. “Ziu Vor” Completed

Is that an option, until they moved out I had a few that could have been traded. :joy:

1 Like

Actually I wouldn’t trade my son he turned out to be a keeper .
My daughter on the other hand , … ok bite my tongue …

Erwin 13 and change , depends how bad you want them …

I hear that Ryan …

Well I did some further looking and they are also decals:
WATERSLIDE DECALS PRINTED BY CARTOGRAF

For UNPAINTED 75 mm long and short boxes

So I might as well get them from the UK. That will be faster :wink:

Somehow this project got on a slow burner… But! Not all hope is lost…!!! Last weekend I finaly got a suitable pice of 9mm plywood and started adding some foam blocks on it. Styrofoam for the rail bedding and blue foam for the plattform. And rails ofcourse… So, the dice are cast and the size is clear now… Need to do some messy sanding to get the steps out of the plattform blocks, and decide how to make the sheeting… I was thinking about making sleepers from wood and using those…

4 Likes

Aha glad to see this is um back on the rails so to speak, amazing how motivating the wail of approaching sirens can be :oncoming_police_car: Sleepers from balsa or “real” wood? :tumbler_glass:

Those dio cops are rather relentless and merciless, aren’t they?

How about this?

6 Likes

When you think you have covered everything with a good layer of pva and sand, and then shake off the loose sand… :pensive:

6 Likes

Cool, you accidentally managed to replicate some Kubelwagen burn-outs – bonus points! :tumbler_glass:

2 Likes

I doubt wether a Kübel would be able to create those :rofl:

Try number 2…looking much better…

5 Likes

The first/second layer of groundwork is starting to pull this together Erwin, and you can have great fun colouring the ballast down the track lengths, even though I guess a lot of it will be hidden by the loco and various rolling stock, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:.

Cheers, :beer:,

G

Yes it does, the first try was a layer of pva with sand sprinkled on is and pushed in afterwards. Not a big success.
The second try made me feel like a mason: the same sand, mixed with water and again a fair amount of pva (luckily my wife bought 2 bottles), and applied with a putty knife.
Next will be the touching up of the rails. Then the ballast…

Currently my major headache is what to do with the area Karl will be in…
From old pictures it seems as if those areas were kept squeaky clean… Which is rather boring…

3 Likes

I seem to recall reading that they usually had to build new track where they deployed this giant gun. Several tracks laid side by side. So it would then appear squeaky clean.
J

@JRutman , I think you mixed up Karl with Dora (what kind of child would come of that!!! :open_mouth: )
Karl could be unloaded on a single track, and since there was a railway station near the area of operations in Warsaw, it would be logical they would use that:

4 Likes

Hey Erwin, are you still working this beast? I’ve been out for a bit, trying to catch up. Looks good from here, standing by :wink:

Yes, but not very much at the moment… I did some painting and rustin of the tracks, but most attention goes to a side project :

1 Like

On special request of our friend @PolishBrigade12, and because the weather allows it, I continued with this one…
I added the ballast to the rails. It immediately changes the way the whole diorama looks. I also added the buffer stops, though these are not ready yet, nor is the water crane…

11 Likes

Yep,makes a big difference.
J

Excellent, looks great. The scale of this build is really impressive with this photo, woof! Where is this going once you are finished? Must be a huge curio cabinet, lol.

Cheers, Ski.