Lebanese and Iranian M60 MBT

Im looking to add either a Lebanese M60 or Iranian M60 or even both and im wondering on Academy’s and Italeri’s
M60 are its been a long time since iv built either of them so im not sure of any issues

2 Likes

Academy is slightly better than the Tamiya kit. ESCI/ERTL/Revell/Italeri is better than academy.

Of course, all of the new molded kits; Dragon, AFV Club, Takom are better but also more complicated and more expensive.
I would go with the ESCI et al.
Ken

2 Likes

The Takom M60s build up nicely. Not complicated except for maybe the tracks. They are workable indy links and take some time and care to assemble. Only PE is on the turret basket.

1 Like

I second Takom’s M60s. In my opinion, they are the best currently on the market.

1 Like

I agree, Takom is best overall, but the original question was between Academy and Italeri.
And both of those are simple, easy to put together kits that still look very good when finished.
Ken

1 Like

In answer to your original question:

The Italeri kits win out for me simply because they have separate parts for the outriggers. Academy’s are molded on. As for issues: There’s a small depression on the outboard portion of the stowage bins that is easily fixed in seconds by using CA and sanding them flat on a nice surface like granite.

i also like to cut the outriggers off their mounting blocks and sand them down to a more scale thickness. If I recall it’s not a bad step to take anyway as there are a few knock out pin holes you’ll eliminate in the process.

2 Likes

I’d second ESCI/Italeri/ERTL reissue if the budget is an issue. I feel like its biggest let-down is the link tracks.
One correction on Ken’s comment - Dragon does not produce M60A1 or A3 version. They have an M60, which has a modified M48 turret, and the hull is about 2-3mm shorter than it should be. There are other not too obvious inaccuracy issues, too.
Takom is the best choice - you may be able to get something reasonable on eBay.

Takom M60A1 (2132) and A3 (2137) kits do not come with indy links. I believe they have the typical black rubber tracks.

2 Likes

I just did their M48A3ModB and it had indy links. Their “older” kits do have the rubber tracks. Guess it depends on the vintage of the kit in question.

1 Like

Ultimate goal has changed to building a Lebanese M48A5 and a Iranian M60A1 with in a set budget
now here lies the problem tamiya’s M48 doesnt have the T142 tracks that the A5 has Academy’s M60A1 has the T142 tracks but has the wrong wheels for a Iranian M60A1 now the Revell/Italeri/Esci
has the correct wheels but those horrid tracks.
maybe the only real choice is Tamiya’s M60A3

1 Like

Takom does an A5. Don’t know what mods you would have to make.

1 Like

i have a tamiya M48A3 on the way and have all the parts needed to make it a M48A5 except for the T142 tracks and lebanese decals

1 Like

Nick,
If I remember correctly, the rubber tracks on Tamiya’s M60A3 are inaccurate, too - guide horns in a wrong location. If that’s not a big concern for you, I have a set I’m willing to donate, as well as ESCI M60A1 T142 tracks I won’t be using.
Lots of indiv. T142 AM tracks available, however.

As to the aluminum type wheels, I also have a set from ESCI or Tamiya M60A3 kit I’m willing to donate. I just need to dig them up. Simply asking you to cover the postage $6-7 from CO.

if i get the Academy M60A1 ill need the ESCI wheels but not sure they will fit the Academy kit road wheel arms
and if i get the Esci M60A1 ill need the tamiya T142 tracks

Any wheels can be made to fit any kit. But again, I think certain details on the Esci kit are better than Academy.

Star Decals produces excellent sets for Lebanese vehicles. I buy mine from eBay.

1 Like

i know i just picked 2 sets one of the registration plates and the other of unit markings

1 Like

i think after i do a Iranian M60A1 and a Lebanese M48A5 i have pretty much got the middle east covered for the most part
here what i got so far
Israel Merkava IV
Saudi Arabia M1A2S
Egypt M1A1
Iraq M1A1 SA
Kuwait M1A2K

1 Like

So you decline my offer?

i had to think a bit and evaluate
i had to take cost into concideration on the model endec up findsing a academy M60A1 cheap and it had the T142 tracks that ill need for my M48A5 so ill go with the esci M60 wheels

Ill take the tamiya T142 tracks as im not sure what Im going to do about the M60 build im having second thoughts about making it a Iranian M60A1 may decide to do it as a M60A3 in markings i have not decided on yet