Leopard 1A1

Paul thanks; I agree - the PSM etched engine cover was only around 5 Euros or so - say double it with postage - I can run to that, and it is indeed such an improvement.

Brian

Hi Brian,

nice model! The old Italeri Leopard 1, now marketed by Revell is a nice model, even now more then 40 years old! I had used the old Italeri Leopard A3 to build a Canadian Leopard 1C, with the trackjam set, incl. a new turret and other helpful parts! I assume I had it build atleast 25 years ago, Sadly cancelled now: Leopard C1 Conversion Kit (Early Version), Trackjam Models TJM-001

Looking to the “new” Revell kit 03240, this kit is only substantially better. I’ll add pictures of my upgraded Leopard 1 AVLS BE, Revell kit 03240.
The funny thing is, the kit has the two most relevant parts to build a AVLS, the crosswind-sensor and the atmospharic pressure and outside tempreature censor!
But no word of it! To build this model, it’s like a nightmare.

First of all! All weldings beads are missing! Really all!!! I used Archer weld beads to replicate the beads; - a lot of work! The running gear and the road wheels are best to replace by Leopard Workshop parts. The same applies to the L7 105MM main gun. To long and to narrow, Leopard workshop helped again. The antenna bases for SEM 25/35 are Leopard Workshop. Leopard Workshop too, for the FN/MAG / C6 Machine Gun, 1:35 Leopard 1 Improvement set for the Revell kit 03240, Leopard Chains, Leopard 1 Smoke Launchers (1-bolt), Leopard 1 and 2 Tow Eyes, Leopard 1 welded Exhaust Grills, Leopard 1 road wheels, idlers and return rollers with Damged Tires and and finally Leopard 1 mantlet plugs! Explaining all the corrections and changes, it took my to make a better model, this would be beyond the scope!

For sure, without the perfect Leopard Workshop parts the kit 03240 will look nice if you are more than 1.5 meter away from it. But closer examination would reveil the errors.

It took me 8 weeks to build my model. In my opinion it was woth of it! Pictures of the Leopard 1 AVLS BE are added. I’m thinking to add a camo net over the barrel!?!?

The trackpad pubs “Leopard 1 Forty-five years of Service - 1969 to 2014” and “Leopard 1 BE Belgiums last MBT”! These pubs are more then worth the money.

I decided to show a Leopard 1 BE of the 2e Guides, (en francais) 2e Gidsen (in Flams).

In case anyone is interested to build a Dutch Leopard 1. I also can encourage you to buy the pub “Dutch Leopard 1, Armoured fist of the Royal Dutch Army”. Worth every cent.

Now the pictures!! Have fun.

Leopard 1 AVSL BE Front pic 1|666x500

3 Likes

I will add a tip for building the HCWS leopard 1 track.

Paint the bolts of the track shoe. The reason for it is following:
The HCWS Leopard 1 track is really nice, but it has an terrible tendency! The end connectors will fall off the track shoe bolts quiet easily. If you take 100 track shoes, 60 of it will lose the end connectors! In applying a good lot of paint to the track shoe bolts will stop it.

The BE tank crew figures I had made already! I used the modern British tank crew heads by Hornet, as in my opinion, these heads with the British helmets best reflect the BE tank crew helmets. the figure on the right represents the TC. I have cutthe torso in half and bend it more to the left, as this pose shows the the TC grabing the override, moving the turret. The figure in the middle had its right arm repositioned.

I add two pictures of the the self made tank crew.

Greetz

Hank

BE Tank Crew for Leopard 1 BE pic 2|666x500

BE tank crews

2 Likes

Hauke,

Nice to see a Belgian Leopard; I will have to get around to making one sometime. If you’ll forgive one comment I feel that the stowage resting on the mantlet cover would impact on the crew’s vision, especially when closed down, however, very nice model indeed.

Interesting that you have used British head sets for your Belgian figures; hitherto I have used US one!

Brian

Thanks everyone! I don’t know very much about the Leopards but am learning, and you guys are helping.

Bill

Amazing work as always Brian. Hopefully when this mess is over a pint or two in Folkestone is called for :beers:
Short fat Irish bloke from Wales…

Paul! How nice to hear from you - I was unaware you were on the site - clearly one can run but not hide! Thanks for the comment; 'looking forward to the pint but sadly I fear it’ll be some way off.

Brian, you correct.

The bundle on the turret front is a camo net sold by Perfect Scale. Normally it was used wrapped around the main gun for action

But as mentioned in an earlier posting, I think about draping a camo net over the main gun and left side of the turret. The vision on the left side won’t by impared, as the AVLS Leos didn’t use the old optical range finder. The right side range finder head was used for the laser range finder. The left side one were of now use and blocked inside by a steel plate.

Fair enough!

Brian,
I just crawl out from under my rock now and again… Even at this point February '21 is looking a bit dodgy for a social lemonade. Stay safe and keep building.

A brief update before the hiatus of lockdown: a coat of Bundeswehr Brown which actually I thinned too much so will have to re-do; however, for the moment that’s where I am at:

Brian

1 Like

Brian,

the camo net looks gret! What do you use?

I use the tie from expired first aid packages of the Bundeswehr. These ties have a smaller structure as the first aid packages! I dip it into a mixture of wood glue, green or brown color and a little water.

IMy approach to make the interwoven camouflage elements is prescribed now. I crush tea leaves of tea bags in the mortar . I have cans full of the small tea leaves in my collection. In the meantime, the net has lost the excess liquid, then I put this soaked net over the parts of the MBT to be camouflaged. I drap them with the net and then sprinkle the tea leaves over them. And done. As long as the net is wet, you can add straps to secure the net on the barrel, or at the turret storage basket .

Hauke,

Thank you; see about 30 posts back! Pretty much the same method as you I think. Great minds think alike perhaps?

Brian

After a somewhat protracted delay a few more images of work in progress; I’ve now just about completed the detailed painting though a few touch-ups are needed. Next stop will be a gloss coat so I can apply markings, washes etc.

The concept is that of a vehicle on exercise undergoing a tactical replenishment of ammunition. Now, I don’t quite know if tanks on exercise are ever bombed-up with live ammo other than when going on the ranges (or perhaps a tactical replen then a trip to the ranges). I don’t even know if the British Army ever practised this let alone the Bundeswehr who had a very tight training schedule as they were dealing with a largely conscript manpower base, so any observations as to the viability of my plan please let me know. Johnnych01 and Maximus 8425 - your input could be useful here, and of course, any Bundeswehr modellers/former Leo crewmen, or indeed any armoured crewmen.

Advice on the positioning of the ammo boxes, detritus etc all welcome; have I forgotten anything? I envisage that the Loader/Operator would be inside the tank stowing the rounds, and say, the Gunner and Driver busy unpacking the rounds and passing them up through the loading hatch; I plan to have a Commander in the turret but he’ll be doing Commander-stuff, like just finishing marking his map and re-folding it or something similar. Because I want this to be as tactical (as warlike) as possible I plan on converting the figures so they’re helmeted and carrying respirators and personal weapons. The last picture shows a modified Hornet Head for this purpose and an Italeri Uzi undergoing conversion. I still have to complete the ammo boxes and paint the handles; I also plan to have some MG3 ammo boxes present.

Any comments welcome - including brickbats - otherwise I won’t learn.

Brian

5 Likes

I´m very impressed by the camo net!! Awesome work! :raised_hands:

Thanks Freddy, I aim to please!

I do like the early Leo’s and this one is fantastic. I know it’s been mentioned a few times, but that camo net is outstanding. Thanks for sharing.

Brian, will chip in with any info I can. Can only speak for what we did and not Leopard crews.
On exercise we wouldn’t have any main gun ammo in the wagon (apart from BATUS and will cover that later).
Main gun ammo in UK or BAOR was only
used strictly on a Range. Ammo is collected by the SQMC and then brought to the range and distributed to wagons there. It is brought boxed and then broken down by crews to be stowed in ammo racks or charge bins. The only ammo we had on exercise was blank 7.62 for the GPMG’s.
When on the ranges you have strict safey measures in place and the ammo is accounted for down to the sub atomic level. It’s usually governed by what shoots you’re due to fire, so you’d get x amount of bag charges, x amount of rounds and X amount of vent tubes. Then either get replenned last thing or first thing in the morning.
BATUS is the only live real time exercise you move as you would for real with live (practice rounds) rounds. Wagons would do the tactical exercise bit moving with full bomb loads and then fire in designated areas with safety staff in vehicles behind us.
While over there we would have rolling replens where you drive through the SQMCs position and get your new bomb loads there or he would meet us at a static troop or Sqn leaguer and resupply us there one wagon at a time.
Your scenario would work for a supposed conflict or maybe the Bundeswehr have a similar live exercise range like our BATUS ? I’m sure others will have input about this as well.

Thanks John - just what I wanted to know; basically then, I can configure my scenario as a sort of rolling replen for the Bundeswehr Ă  la BATUS-style - well, up to a point perhaps!

If it transpires it becomes a sort of edgy “close to conflict” depiction then in a way, so much the better as I like to make my models look just as if the balloon might be about to go up, without, I hope, going full-on “What-If”.

Thanks again.

Brian

1 Like

Thanks Paddy, that’s very kind. Sometimes I feel it’s a bit of a cop out - is it perhaps concealing bad modelling? Sometimes, “Yes!”. Mostly though I just bite the bullet, cover up loads of detail - which is all a bit counter intuitive for modellers perhaps - and hope it ends up looking at least partially realistic.

1 Like