Leopard 2A7 Engine Deck paint color for details?

Hi All,

I’m working on my Meng Leopard 2A7 tank (TS-027), and I am having a difficult time trying to find photos of the real life tank engine deck. Actually, the entire rear potion of the top of the hull. I’ve found many walk around photos of Leopard 2A6 tanks (virtually no detailed photos of the 2A7 version), but it seems like there was a reticence in taking any photos of the top of the rear hull. Specifically, I’m trying to determine if any of the miscellaneous conduit and other attachments, AND the 2 shovels mounted there, were painted in the NATO scheme (that is, just overpainted in the overall hull camo colors) or were any of these pieces/parts painted in other colors? The Meng instructions show part G44 (conduit?) supposedly painted in rubber black, and step 14 of the instructions (where G44 is placed) shows the shovels in a shaded dark color, sort of implying Olive Drab for the metal parts of the shovel and ‘wood’ for the handles. I know this is an awfully obscure question on colors, but I really would like all these details to be accurate, as I’ve spent a lot of time on this tank thus far, and I’d like it to be as true to the real tank as possible. I’ve used the Modeling News build series for this kit, which goes into a lot of detail, as a reference, which is where I see that the modeler did appear to use Rubber Black on part G44, but kind of hard to tell how he painted the shovels. Plus, I’m sure there have to be other little details on the engine deck that may be painted in something other than the overall NATO scheme, but, of course, I could be wrong. Anyone with photos, or with verbal descriptions of the colors I’m looking for, would be hugely appreciated!

1 Like

Check here BW – Main Battle Tanks | TANK-MASTERS – Photos & Journalism | Military Photos & Journalism

1 Like

Might this help?
http://tank-masters.de/_content/_indexprints/Leopard_2A7.pdf

1 Like

Deti9mm and HermannB, thanks so much for the links and the huge number of Leopard photos! They will certainly help me in weathering my 2A7 very realistically. Unfortunately, just like every other photo I’ve seen, and desipttze the huge number of photos you sent my way, there are still no photos of the top of the rear hull of this tank! I don’t know why that area of the Leopard 2A6/7 seems to be a location where no photos seem to exist. Again, thanks a ton for providing what you did, but I"m still looking for what I asked for in my first post above.

Oh, and Deti9mm, welcome to the Armorama forums! This is a great place to come and learn things…I’ve been hanging out here for years!

1 Like

Check out @HermannB’s link again Curt, around pic 371, 421 and pic 1030, some great images. Very helpful for me too so thanks guys, wonderful references!

Edit, and sorry @Deti9mm, some great pics there too, and welcome to the site!

J.

Jim, you are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!! HermannB, I apologize, but I hadn’t looked at every picture you sent and I made assumptions that they would all look like the previous images, and Jim is perfectly correct, and those images are EXACTLY what I was and am looking for! PERFECT, PERFECT, PERFECT!!! I now have precisely what I wanted to be able to paint my tank the way it needs to be to reflect reality. Again, my sincere apologies to Hermann for not having looked at all the images that he so kindly provided. And Jim is also correct that the pictures are ideal pictures to use for real world weathering. NOW I think I’ve got everything I need!!

1 Like