Let my heart be still a moment and this mystery explore

Wouldn’t count on it! Some places like Thingiverse offer no compensation - they assume designers are happy to offer their art to the world for free. I had somebody approach me recently to design something for them that I estimated to be a solid day’s work (spread out over a number of evenings and weekends) but I did not want the product myself, so I quoted my day rate based on my monthly paycheck divided by 20 (the number of working days in a month) to arrive at a figure that was simply not practical for a small resin part. Now if I thought there was a market for them that would shift hundreds I could put it on SW with a suitable mark-up on each sale, but if I offer the file for home printing?..

4 Likes

Well especially after seeing Mikey’s recent post on his printer issue, I certainly support paying a fair price for any 3D printed items. I am an engineer and some what familiar with CAD and modeling. All I ever learned was that the software support guys blamed the hardware while the hardware support guys blamed the software. Trouble shooting is constant. I was never happy with IT folks. I get that 3D printing is a challenge but I just want to buy the finished scale object. Sorry I personally am not interested in learning a new computer trade during my retirement, just want the occasional rare little item. Yes I prefer we pay as we go as available.

4 Likes

Sorry but i could not resist sharing this one with you. A chicken video for your enjoyment! Be sure that your video audio sound is on at the end. “Why did the chicken cross the road? Because no one could stop it!” I think this is to scale?

1 Like

For 3D printing and 3D printed items, try ETSY…their 3D printers are often much better in quality than Shapeways and they have no print lines or grain texture.

2 Likes

Does ETSY actually print the items? I thought they were just a sales gateway.

Correct, they are just a sales gateway, but many of the sellers there have 3D printers that are among the best in the business. And you can contact sellers also to set up custom printing jobs if you establish rapport.

My favorite two seller on Shapeways are Priamide Models (Ettore Galasso), @galactica; who provided me with the A1 DVH update for my AFV Club M1126 Stryker ICV. he also makes the full SOCOM Conversion for the M1126 Stryker, as seen in action in Northern Syria.

Stryker Double V Hull (DVH A1) conversion set (7ACZBZXNJ) by egalasso (shapeways.com)

Stryker SOCOM conversion set (9X7QQHKSD) by egalasso (shapeways.com)

He also made the conversion kit for the RFM M1240A1 M-ATV to convert it to an M1245A1 SOCOM M-ATV also seen in action in Northern Syria.

The second vendor is Peter Samofalov (Samofalov prototyping), who makes some awesome SOCOM conversion parts for the M1025 and M1151 Humvees.

Samofalov prototyping models by samofptr - Shapeways Shops

2 Likes

Yes. I have seen much of Peter Samofalov’s excellent work. Peter left Live Resin and created the modern TOW missile stuff in 1/35 scale with Shapeways. These TOW parts and others by Peter eventually ended up printed and packaged by Legend resin kits. Some fine offerings!

2 Likes

I knew it! I always thought my SAG II turret on my M1165A1 GMV build looked a lot like Live Resin’s work.

I need to start working on the doors.

2 Likes

I just exchanged information with Alessandro Clerici from Florence, Italy. He was kind enough to add my little project to his Facebook page “The Art of Modeling” showcase. Is anyone else familiar with his website? Looking for any insight? Apparently the trick is to click on the photos, but hope it promotes our hobby by sharing on another location.

Shameless self promotion here :face_with_hand_over_mouth: https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftheartofmodeling.club%2Fproject%2Fbucky-by-stuart-gillespie%2F%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR1snitkkf6vSCeWlVpCP4HwJGK9Gtg4WIBWEhH25X3Vk2dEAvVIZsiOCtc&h=AT2RPCnppfygB0ExzTFtA7NI87lzhooufPF1Cn5AARZnumrfMwc8IMd5BjLup0Fu5kV4ACXuar5SZlolxYLr7z7xb84l5Q1q-D-s6aykY1NsRzitdm6YbQ0_aHRWX7Wk8YxKxodhalrqLikgFm0KIA

1 Like

Blockquote
ShapeWays has some really cool stuff if you can spend a few weeks searching their site — couldn’t find a chicken to save my life! :rooster:
Blockquote

I had to share this bird. Hobby Search showed August 2023 this new release of a plastic injected mold of a shoe bill bird in 1/35 scale! Here’s yer chicken LOL

2 Likes

Interesting set, your painting looks great. :+1::+1:

2 Likes

Thank you Ryan, but I assume you are talking about the deer painting as the shoe bill figure was painted by someone else. The shoebill bird figure is part of the advertisement for the zoo kit. All the best - Stuart

1 Like

I somehow thought you painted the bird, dang coffee didn’t kick in then. Don’t tell Glenn, he thinks I am always right. :roll_eyes::crazy_face:

1 Like

Shoebills have that permanent “Haven’t had my coffee yet, so F off!” look on them. Kinda scary.

2 Likes